Aug 2, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT
Josh Beckett was booed off the mound at Fenway Park on Tuesday night after leaving his start against the Tigers in the third inning with back spasms. Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine expressed optimism yesterday that the veteran right-hander will be able to avoid a stint on the disabled list, but there’s now uncertainty whether he’ll be able to make his next scheduled start Sunday against the Twins.
According to Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston, Beckett was unable to throw a bullpen session this afternoon. Bobby V acknowledged that he “more than likely” won’t start Sunday if he can’t throw tomorrow. Franklin Morales would presumably return from the bullpen to make the start if Beckett is unable to go.
Beckett was charged with one run on one hit and two walks over 2 2/3 innings on Tuesday and holds a disappointing 4.54 ERA through 18 starts this season. The Red Sox reportedly shopped him leading up to Tuesday’s non-waiver trade deadline, but didn’t find much interest. Given his struggles this year and the $15.75 million he’s owed over each of the next two seasons, that’s exactly not a surprise.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)