Aug 2, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
This is surprising: the Rangers have called up top prospect Mike Olt from Double-A.
Olt is one of the game’s top prospects, but he’s definitely green, never having played anywhere more exalted than Frisco. To be fair, however, he is 23. And he was abusing the Texas League, hitting .287/.399/.575 with 27 home runs and 81 RBI through 94 games this season at Frisco.
Olt is a third baseman, but he has played first base and three games in the outfield as well, so you figure the Rangers could use him all over the place.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)