Aug 2, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
This is surprising: the Rangers have called up top prospect Mike Olt from Double-A.
Olt is one of the game’s top prospects, but he’s definitely green, never having played anywhere more exalted than Frisco. To be fair, however, he is 23. And he was abusing the Texas League, hitting .287/.399/.575 with 27 home runs and 81 RBI through 94 games this season at Frisco.
Olt is a third baseman, but he has played first base and three games in the outfield as well, so you figure the Rangers could use him all over the place.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)