Aug 2, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
This is surprising: the Rangers have called up top prospect Mike Olt from Double-A.
Olt is one of the game’s top prospects, but he’s definitely green, never having played anywhere more exalted than Frisco. To be fair, however, he is 23. And he was abusing the Texas League, hitting .287/.399/.575 with 27 home runs and 81 RBI through 94 games this season at Frisco.
Olt is a third baseman, but he has played first base and three games in the outfield as well, so you figure the Rangers could use him all over the place.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)