Aug 2, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
This is surprising: the Rangers have called up top prospect Mike Olt from Double-A.
Olt is one of the game’s top prospects, but he’s definitely green, never having played anywhere more exalted than Frisco. To be fair, however, he is 23. And he was abusing the Texas League, hitting .287/.399/.575 with 27 home runs and 81 RBI through 94 games this season at Frisco.
Olt is a third baseman, but he has played first base and three games in the outfield as well, so you figure the Rangers could use him all over the place.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)