Yadier Molina to undergo X-rays on sprained right thumb

Aug 2, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT

Yadier Molina Getty Getty Images

The Cardinals surely have their fingers crossed right now, as Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Yadier Molina is out of tonight’s lineup against the Rockies due to a sprained right thumb and is scheduled to undergo X-rays when the team returns home to St. Louis tomorrow.

Molina injured the thumb in an awkward slide into first base last night. He’s currently dealing with some swelling, which is naturally making it difficult for him to throw or hit. More should be known following the examination tomorrow.

Molina took a huge leap forward offensively last year and he has been even better this year, batting .310/.359/.506 with 16 home runs, 52 RBI and an .856 OPS in 91 games played. The 30-year-old backstop has also thrown out 44 percent of attempted basestealers (20-for-45), which leads all major league catchers. An extended absence would be a tough blow for the Cards, who enter play tonight 7 1/2 games behind the Reds in the National League Central and three games back in the Wild Card race.

1. kfiz14 - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Hope it’s career-ending.

• ajcardsfan - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I’m going to bite my thumb in your general direction

• stex52 - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Two bad we only get to “thums down” once.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Fizzle: I am sure your family is very proud of you.
      Keep up the positive contributions you are making to society.
      Please know it is people like you I point to when teaching my Children life’s lessons…CHUMP.

2. savior72 - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Must be a Reds fan.

• professor59 - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

In addition to being a douche and a troll. Here is a Venn diagram showing the overlap:

Aww, I can’t attach the pic. Oh, well.

3. stlouis1baseball - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:44 AM

The top half of the NL Central is unreal right now. You gotta’ win just to keep pace. Every team has injuries. It’s just sort of unreal at the amount of injuries to absolutely critical positions/players this season. Carp, Jaime, McClellan, Berkman and now…Molina. Gonna’ be tough to keep pace. Hopefully it’s a minor strain.

4. bravojawja - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I stopped reading after “slide into first base.” Does that ever work?

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I didn’t see it. I am really hoping it was an awkward slide/dive (back to 1st base).

• bravojawja - Aug 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM

To avoid getting picked off? That would make sense. It’s sliding into first for a base hit that never works.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 3, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I am with you Jawja. It’s (sliding INTO 1st base) generally always a bad idea.
      I am hoping it was more of a diving back to 1st (to avoid a pick off) as Yadi is typically too smart of a Baseball player to do something as stupid as slide into 1st. But stranger things have happend I guess. Not that it matters anyway as he is still hurt.

5. dcbear90 - Aug 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM

You stay classy Cincinnatti (kfitz14)

1. H. Pence (2167)