And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Aug 3, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT

Ryan Dempster

Rangers 15, Angels 9: Ryan Dempster was shelled in his Rangers debut, but it didn’t matter because C.J. Wilson was shelled too. Josh Hamilton drove in four. You have to wonder if Wednesday night’s game was some kind of turning point in this race.

Rockies 8, Cardinals 2: Homers in four straight games for Josh Rutledge, which is kind of neat. Rockies avoid the sweep.

Braves 6, Marlins 1: A rain delay knocked out the starters early, but it didn’t much matter considering the Braves had a 6-0 lead by then. Two runs knocked in a piece for Chipper Jones and Freddie Freeman.

Royals 7, Indians 6: The Royals had a 6-0 lead and blew it, and then the Indians blew the comeback when Alcides Escobar singled in the winning run in the 11th. This series seemed like it lasted for a year.

Nationals 3, Phillies 0: Ross Detwiler shuts out the Phillies for seven. Adam LaRoche drove in two and Jayson Werth finally came back and drove in one himself.

Mets 9, Giants 1: Tim Lincecum sort of seems to be back so I guess that Barry Zito has to revert to his normal self as well (4.1 IP, 6 H, 7 ER). Ronny Cedeno drove in five. The Mets took three of four from the Giants.

Twins 5, Red Sox 0: What Samuel Deduno is doing is not sustainable — you can’t walk four and strike out one and always expect success — but it worked well enough. Ron Gardenhire:

“I know his ball-strike ratio wasn’t the greatest, but sometimes that works,” Gardenhire said. “He was able to make pitches when he had to and that’s all you really care about.”

Wow. Ron Gardenhire knows what a ball/strike ratio is.

Reds 9, Padres 4: Six runs in the second sunk the Padres. Cincy and Pittsburgh now play the most interesting series of the weekend.

Athletics 4, Blue Jays 0: Well, that was the score in the 8th when I went to bed. I’m guessing that holds up because the Blue Jays can’t seem to win baseball games anymore.

1. fugubeach - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:41 AM

4 A’s 1 Blue Jays. No big deal though

2. mj1818 - Aug 3, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Let’s go Bucs! Let’s go Bucs! Let’s go Bucs! Let’s raise that jolly roger nice and hi this weekend!

• bengalsucker - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM

No grown man would type on a sports forum “Let’s go (their team name)” repeatedly and then talk about raising the “jolly roger”. God I’m glad I’m not a Pirates fan. Funny thing is I’m a Bengals fan and I’d still be more embarrassed to be a Pirates fan! Never in my life would I say “let’s raise the jolly roger” for my sports team. Pirates are a one year wonder. Have fun next year back in your place.

• ajcardsfan - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Sounds like somebody really needs to have their roger jollied

• bengalsucker - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Yeah you’re right cards fan. How’s the weather down there at the bottom? Just curious.

• Jeremy T - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I’m pretty sure that’s not how weather works…

• natstowngreg - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM

No grown man would have a lame username like yours.

If someone wants to cheer for a team that is winning after losing for 20 years, more power to him.

• madhatternalice - Aug 3, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Why do you assume it’s a grown man?

#MisogynyExists

3. stex52 - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:19 AM

If I’m Brad Mills, here’s my plan for the upcoming swing through Atlanta and Washington: In the first inning, start arguing balls and strikes with the umpire. By no later than the third, he throws me out of the game. I go to a local bar, have a couple of beers and work on my resume. I’m spared the misery of watching the kids screw up. And after all, we all know who takes the fall at the end of the season.

If I’m the plate umpire, I don’t throw Mills out. If I have to suffer through this game, so does he.

4. bgrdmacheen - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Who would’ve ever thought that they would actually be selling pirates tickets this year instead of handing them out as punishments for traffic violations

5. yankeesfanlen - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Now that the Universe has had a day off, it’s 20 in a row. The most interesting will no doubt be the ALDS preview August 13-16 at the Cathedral.
    Who we put in our lineup will be interesting. Hope it’s not, as Janis Joplin quoted “Me and Bobby McGee”
    Ichiro? In 2012? Really???

• proudlycanadian - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

LOL Len! Leave Ichiro alone.

• Old Gator - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Takes some getting used to, doesn’t it? But look at it this way: the minor emotional adjustments you have to make to accommodate him are minor compared to the handpainters in Tokyo, Now that they’ve repainted the uniforms on the Matsui bobbleheads in the bazaar by the Shoji Temple four or five times, and they’ll need to remove them altogether now. That’s OK though, because the newly repainted Ichiro bobbleheads should be ready to put on the shelves now.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Still trying to figure out why they’re not batting Ichiro 9th like they would do with Gardner.

• natstowngreg - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Ichiro is the latest in a long line of players at the tail ends of excellent careers, brought in to help the Yankees win pennants and World Series.

• gloccamorra - Aug 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Actually, in the old days the Yankees already HAD those guys and traded them to Baltimore for younger, late season help. With the reserve clause, if they released a player, his career was over, and the better players got their “day” at Yankee Stadium. Even Yogi, when he got his day in Yankee Stadium in ’59, thought he was going to be released or traded to Baltimore.

6. Old Gator - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

There’s very little to say about the Feesh anymore this season. They’re playing out their line – er – string until camping and fishing season sets in in early October. Come to think of it, the Feesh remind me of a hapless largemouth bass (you can’t even allegorize a team with Slobbering Ozzie at the helm as a smallmouth) who’s taken one line, then dashed around under the boat and gotten it tangled up with everyone else’s line so that you really can’t tell which team actually has them on the hook. They all seem to. I mean, every time they open a new series, it’s like watching the Polish cavalry go into action against the Panzers in 1939 – except for the lifelessness of their performance. You can’t even call it “going into action,” can you?

Well, okay. Here are the interesting and pertinent things that happened on the field last night:

• ajcardsfan - Aug 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Sometimes I wish we had just a general discussion place, so I could ask questions like this:
      OG, think I made a a decent choice in picking up Bonifacio and replacing Mike Aviles since he’s been out 5 games now? I don’t really follow Miami, so I was going off of pure stats. I saw that compared to last year, he’s seen a bit of a drop in his OPS.

• Old Gator - Aug 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Bonny has been injured for a good chunk of this season and is just playing his way back into shape, instincts-wise as well as restoring strength to his grip following thumb surgery. He was, I think, leading the league in stolen bases before he got hurt and now they have him back playing the infield. So yeah, overall I think he’s a good guy to have on your fantasy team.

7. Francisco (FC) - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Craig’s strolled into his Lair, at on his high chair took hold of his bubble pipe as he watched the highlights on his 71″ LED screen. Hopefully MLB never expands beyond the current 30 teams, his 4×4 sub-display is perfect for 15 games and one conversation at the same time. After all, it’s possible to dilute the product too much!

He started reviewing notes for HBT daily as Tiffany Simons appeared on his screen once again. “Hi Craig ready for more HBT Daily?”

Craig leaned back and shook off a piece of lint on his Braves Bathrobe: “Of course my dear. Topic of the day: how the deadline deals have impacted their teams so far. I must say Dempster must improve in his next outings. Or maybe it’s the Rangers, it’s like a reverse Midas touch with every starter they sign or call up to help them.”

“I still think you went overboard when you torpedoed the deal between the Cubs and the Braves.”

Craig sat up straight. “Oh come now, a two month rental in exchange for one our finest pitching prospects in Randall Delgado? I think not. It’s a good thing I kept that access to the Braves site. I knew announcing the deal prematurely would blow up Dempster. Later on, I steered Frank Wren to a proper replacement.”

“Craig you can be evil sometimes.”

8. bravojawja - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM

The worst thing about that rain delay wasn’t having to pull Mike Minor from another quality start or the opportunity to beat up on Eovaldi some more. It was the giant tree that fell on the dining rooms at Fox Bros BBQ. The entire city is holding its collective breath until they reopen. Please, Baby BBQ Jesus, let them reopen soon.

9. uyf1950 - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM

The best news to come out yesterday if you’re a Yankee fan wasn’t that the Red Sox got shut out by the lowly Twins. It was that the Yankees designated Ramiro Pena for assignment. About time!

10. johnnyb1976 - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM

The Jolly Roger will not fly in Cincinnati this weekend. This will be the series the Reds really put the central to bed.

• Old Gator - Aug 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM

This is not a rivalry in which I invest any rooting interest, at least not in terms of the teams involved per se. However, I do keep hoping to wake up and read that that miserable thug Cueto has taken a comebacker off the bridge of his nose and is about to see his career end in a miasma of incurable dizzy spells.

11. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Not sure where else to ask this question, so I will try here. While Cliff Lee can block trades to 21 teams, can he block a straight waiver claim?

• uyf1950 - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I believe the only thing he can block is if it’s one of those 21 teams that claim him. Even via a waver claim he can’t be sent to any of those 21 teams without approving it first.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I saw the thing on MLBTR, but it didn’t specifically mention if he can block a claim. Thank you for explaining.

• uyf1950 - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM

sabathia, this is a quote from MLB TradeRumors on that: “If Lee does get claimed, the Phillies could pull him back off of waivers, work out a trade, or assign his contract to the team that wins the claim (the left-hander can block trades to 21 teams). If he goes unclaimed, the Phillies will be able to trade Lee with the same restrictions they’d encounter in July or in the offseason. How will it all unfold?”

12. pw38 - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I wouldn’t necessarily say last nights Rangers/Angels game was some sort of turning point outside of maybe the bats for Texas are starting to wake up again after a nearly two month slumber. I have to say that this was one of the most exciting series I’ve watched in quite awhile. That was a knock down drag out fight. The Angels seemed to come into the series with a mission and the Rangers responded in kind. I love this kind of baseball. Anyone who doubts that the AL West is where the action is right now is blind. We get 6 more of these games too; can’t wait.

• elgorditodehumboldt - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I agree 100%. The Angels took care of business in the 1st two games and Texas handled the 2nd two. These teams appear to be fairly evenly matched at this point and hopefully this will lead to an exciting stretch run.

Two things that became evident in this series are: 1) Texas’ starting pitching is not great and could be their Achilles heel moving forward (especially if their bats stay fairly dormant). 2) Angels lineup 1-6 is very potent, but there is a huge drop off 7-9. Also their starting pitching seems to be fine (as long as Haren is healthy), but the bullpen is shaky at best and could be their downfall.

13. natstowngreg - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM

The Nats beat Cole Hamels. OMG, the Nats beat Cole Hamels! In his previous starts (both in May), Hamels had surrendered one run in 16 innings. Meanwhile, Ross Detwiler continues to show signs of maturation as a starter, with 7 shutout innings. In 4 starts since the all-star break, he has a 1.75 ERA.

Jayson Werth returned, had a hit, walk and RBI…Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins made errors, but the official scorer chose not to recognize them as such…Tyler Clippard had another of his overly exciting saves, bringing the tying run to the plate before striking out Ryan Howard…From our How Often Do You See This? Dept.: Cholly used back-to-back-to back pinch-hitters in the 9th (Laynce Nix, Nate Schierholtz, Howard).

So much for the Gods of Baseball being mad at the Nats for e-mailing season ticket holders about playoff tickets. Not only did they allow the Nats to beat Hamels, but they’re brining the Fish into town for 4 games in 3 days, followed by 4 in Houston. Need to keep winning to keep the Braves 2.5 games or more away. Especially with tough series in Phoenix and San Francisco coming up. Brad Hand and John Lannan were called up to pitch Game 1, while Gio tries for his 14th win vs. Josh Johnson in the nightcap.

• natslady - Aug 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Nationals beat Colbert. Just love the sound of that, keep saying it, never gets old… Still trying to figure out the playoff ticket “strip.” Weird. Hard to bend your mind around that email. (I don’t think they had email in 1945 or 1933–did they?)

• natstowngreg - Aug 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I read the message that our (half) season ticket holder of record got. The part on distribution of playoff tickets makes no sense. But then, it’s not the first time they’ve sent out season ticket guidance that made no sense. The important things are:

1. The Nats are planning for the distribution of playoff tickets, for the first time. This is good.
        2. The Nats are trying to leverage the promise of playoff tickets to get commitments for 2013 season tickets. This is understandable from a bsuiness standpoint, but ever so slightly annoying.

There were computers in 1945, but personal computers and e-mail and AOL CDs in every nook and cranny of America and Al Gore inventing the Internet were a ways off.

14. APBA Guy - Aug 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM

PW is right about the Angels/Rangers series and about where the action is. I only got glimpses of the series, but between MLB Network and highlights I can’t believe how exciting that must have been. Certainly more so than last nights 4-1 win at the Mausoleum.

Cur, what has happened to the Beavermen? Please use your powers to communicate with them. There is coffee in the Bay Area, really good coffee. Better than Seattle. By far. They’re in Oakland, home of Blue Bottle. Wake up, guys!

Absolute Snoozefest. The most exciting thing was watching Dan Straily get the rookie treatment throughout the game. He starts tonight and everyone out here is wondering what he brings. Especially since the Giants also had sleeping sickness during the day half of yesterday’s Bay Area Double Feature. I actually heard this on the elevator coming in this morning:

Tech Nerd #1 “What happened at the Giants game?”
    Tech Nerd # 2 “Zito”
    Tech Nerd # 1 “Oh god.”
    Tech Nerd # 2 “Beautiful day, though.”

Since I live in work in an area the Giants regard as theirs by divine right, most of the tech nerds are Giants fans. It is a lonely existence I lead.

But, the A’s did have some other good news. Reddick broke his 0-21 slump in a big way, and Seth Smith broke his 0-18. Both delivered RBI hits also, Reddick’s was directly over the REDDICK fan-boy sign in gold draped over the right field bleacher rail. There were some very happy fan-boys when that ball landed.

The one bit of bad news was that Ray Fosse was absent from the broadcast booth last night, replaced by company shill Scott Hatteberg. Or should I say: Special Assistant to Baseball Operations, as that is his actual title.

We’ve already seen this movie once this year. Nobody liked it, except Wolff/Fisher. Why they are doing this is unclear. If it were being done to provide insight and information to the few remaining fans the move might make sense. Since last night was a repeat of the stuttering “uh, he’s got a good fastball, uh, that has some, uh, movement, uh, that we like.” that we saw in his June 7th debut, plus more of the entertaining “why we did nothing at the deadline” spin from Wolff and AGM David Forst, I can only conclude that Hatteberg’s surprise appearance last night is all part of the tone deaf alienation campaign that Wolff/Fisher have executed since taking over the club. Fangraphs had rated the broadcast duo of Kuiper/Fosse as the 9th best in baseball. Of course that’s totally subjective, but it feels about right. Why mess with that unless you are making it better?

• Old Gator - Aug 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

There’s some codger that the Feesh occasionally permit to broadcast an inning or two – I don’t have any idea who he is, as the fates have decreed that I keep tuning in after he’s been introduced and go listen to the Spanish broadcast until after I’m sure he’s gone back to doing whatever it is an old man like that does to stay alive – but he sounds like a very nice man who is unlistenably awful as a broadcaster.This is probably some sort of graying eminence of the game or its peripheries, a retired broadcaster or scout or even player, that they’re humoring and/or honoring (probably both) by giving him the mike. It’s a nice thought. It’s terrible broadcasting.

• Old Gator - Aug 3, 2012 at 2:27 PM

PS – I concur on the Blue Bottle. Shouldn’t we alert them to the Swedish pancakes at Sears too?

15. moogro - Aug 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Gleeman making fun of Gardy is always fun, Calcaterra doing it is even better.
    Also Gardy, like Ron Washington, continues to prove being in the Twins organization leads to permanent ignorance of lefty/righty platoon splits. However, this doesn’t explain Scoscia.

16. deepstblu - Aug 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM

If the Dodgers can catch the Giants and the rest of the National League teams hold their positions, the entire NL playoff field will be made up of teams that haven’t reached the World Series in the 21st Century.

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka