Aug 3, 2012, 11:14 PM EDT
Sabathia allowed three runs on three hits and a walk in a complete game 6-3 victory over the Mariners tonight at Yankee Stadium. The southpaw struck out notched 10 strikeouts. The loss snapped a seven-game winning streak for the Mariners.
Sabathia actually held the Mariners to just one run until giving up a two-run homer to Dustin Ackley in the top of the ninth. Yankees manager Joe Girardi then came out to the mound to take his temperature, but the big southpaw stayed in the game and recorded the final three outs to finish off his second complete game of the season and the 35th of his career.
Curtis Granderson, Robinson Cano and Raul Ibanez all had RBI singles in the victory while Eric Chavez added a two-run homer which just made it over the outstretched glove of Eric Thames in right field. Chavez, who is filling in for the injured Alex Rodriguez at third base, now has double-digit homers for the first time since 2007. The 34-year-old actually left the game for precautionary reasons after tweaking his ankle during an at-bat in the eighth inning, but Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that it’s not believed to be serious.
Sabathia improved to 11-3 with the victory and now holds a 3.53 ERA and 133/34 K/BB ratio over 135 innings this season.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)