Aug 3, 2012, 11:14 PM EST
Sabathia allowed three runs on three hits and a walk in a complete game 6-3 victory over the Mariners tonight at Yankee Stadium. The southpaw struck out notched 10 strikeouts. The loss snapped a seven-game winning streak for the Mariners.
Sabathia actually held the Mariners to just one run until giving up a two-run homer to Dustin Ackley in the top of the ninth. Yankees manager Joe Girardi then came out to the mound to take his temperature, but the big southpaw stayed in the game and recorded the final three outs to finish off his second complete game of the season and the 35th of his career.
Curtis Granderson, Robinson Cano and Raul Ibanez all had RBI singles in the victory while Eric Chavez added a two-run homer which just made it over the outstretched glove of Eric Thames in right field. Chavez, who is filling in for the injured Alex Rodriguez at third base, now has double-digit homers for the first time since 2007. The 34-year-old actually left the game for precautionary reasons after tweaking his ankle during an at-bat in the eighth inning, but Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that it’s not believed to be serious.
Sabathia improved to 11-3 with the victory and now holds a 3.53 ERA and 133/34 K/BB ratio over 135 innings this season.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)