Aug 3, 2012, 7:21 PM EST
It was painfully obvious that Francisco Cordero‘s toe was killing him while he was getting lit up in four of his six appearances for the Astros. Or at least, that’s what the team is going to tell anyone who asks.
Cordero was placed on the disabled list Friday after taking three blown saves and three losses in his first two weeks with his new club. He gave up 11 runs and 13 hits in five innings, making his 5.77 ERA with the Blue Jays look a whole lot better by contrast.
With Cordero out, the Astros have finally decided to close with their best reliever, Wilton Lopez. Lopez appeared to be the obvious choice to close this spring before the decision to move Brett Myers back to the pen resulted in his return to a setup role. Lopez has a 2.52 ERA in 39 1/3 innings to date, putting him on pace to finish under 3.00 for the third straight year.
Right-hander Mickey Storey was called up to replace Cordero in the bullpen.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)