Aug 3, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
In making their trades earlier this week, the Phillies showed they weren’t interested in paying Hunter Pence or Shane Victorino market value in 2013. Now they have three outfield spots in flux going forward, and while they’re hoping Dominic Brown can hold down right field, there’s already plenty of speculation that they might target free agent-to-be Michael Bourn to fill center.
Corey Seidman breaks it all down at CSNPhilly.com, trying to figure out how much Bourn will command this winter and whether the Phillies could sign him and still fill other needs.
Personally, I’d pass on Bourn. He was a deserving All-Star this year, but a lot of that is his defense. Players with his offensive profile haven’t aged very well. Kenny Lofton might be the obvious comparable, but Bourn simply isn’t at his level. A career .275/.338/.369 hitter, he’s actually much closer to Luis Polonia (.294/.342/.369), Roger Cedeno (.275/.342/.374) and Tom Goodwin (.277/.340/.337) through age 29. Lofton was at .313/.379/.431 through his age-29 season.
If the Phillies could pay a premium to get Bourn to agree to a three-year deal, then he might be worth it. However, the guess here is that he’ll probably get five years from someone.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)