Aug 3, 2012, 7:44 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Rubin, Santana will throw three innings in a rehab start Sunday with Class A Brooklyn. He’s on track to return next Saturday.
7:44 PM: The Mets recently decided to give Johan Santana a bit of a break following an ankle injury which led to some arm fatigue, but he could be back in the starting rotation one week from today.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Santana will make a minor league rehab start on Sunday or Monday. Assuming all goes well, this could put him on track to return from the disabled list next Friday or Saturday against the Braves.
Santana was knocked around for six runs over three innings in his last start on July 20 against the Dodgers and allowed six runs or more in each of his last three starts prior to being placed on the disabled list. The Mets believe his lack of effectiveness was due to him putting extra stress on his arm to compensate for an ankle injury suffered on July 6. The 33-year-old southpaw has a 3.98 ERA and 105/38 K/BB ratio over 19 starts this season after missing all of last year rehabbing from shoulder surgery.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)