Aug 3, 2012, 7:44 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Rubin, Santana will throw three innings in a rehab start Sunday with Class A Brooklyn. He’s on track to return next Saturday.
7:44 PM: The Mets recently decided to give Johan Santana a bit of a break following an ankle injury which led to some arm fatigue, but he could be back in the starting rotation one week from today.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Santana will make a minor league rehab start on Sunday or Monday. Assuming all goes well, this could put him on track to return from the disabled list next Friday or Saturday against the Braves.
Santana was knocked around for six runs over three innings in his last start on July 20 against the Dodgers and allowed six runs or more in each of his last three starts prior to being placed on the disabled list. The Mets believe his lack of effectiveness was due to him putting extra stress on his arm to compensate for an ankle injury suffered on July 6. The 33-year-old southpaw has a 3.98 ERA and 105/38 K/BB ratio over 19 starts this season after missing all of last year rehabbing from shoulder surgery.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)