Aug 3, 2012, 7:44 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Rubin, Santana will throw three innings in a rehab start Sunday with Class A Brooklyn. He’s on track to return next Saturday.
7:44 PM: The Mets recently decided to give Johan Santana a bit of a break following an ankle injury which led to some arm fatigue, but he could be back in the starting rotation one week from today.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Santana will make a minor league rehab start on Sunday or Monday. Assuming all goes well, this could put him on track to return from the disabled list next Friday or Saturday against the Braves.
Santana was knocked around for six runs over three innings in his last start on July 20 against the Dodgers and allowed six runs or more in each of his last three starts prior to being placed on the disabled list. The Mets believe his lack of effectiveness was due to him putting extra stress on his arm to compensate for an ankle injury suffered on July 6. The 33-year-old southpaw has a 3.98 ERA and 105/38 K/BB ratio over 19 starts this season after missing all of last year rehabbing from shoulder surgery.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)