Josh Beckett scratched from Sunday start, Franklin Morales rejoins Red Sox rotation

Aug 3, 2012, 5:35 PM EDT

Detroit Tigers v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

As expected the Red Sox have scratched Josh Beckett from his scheduled Sunday start against the Twins due to a back injury, announcing that Franklin Morales will take his place.

Morales moving back into the rotation seemed possible as soon as the Red Sox traded for left-handed reliever Craig Breslow earlier this week, although for now at least the move isn’t permanent because Beckett remains on the active roster.

Beckett left Tuesday’s start in the third inning due to back spasms and missed much of 2010 with a back injury, but so far the Red Sox have indicated this issue isn’t particularly serious.

Morales had gone three years without starting when the Red Sox gave him a chance in the rotation in mid-June and he had a 3.42 ERA and 31/8 K/BB ratio in five starts, but then moved back into the bullpen for the past few weeks.

1. razorbyrd - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I’ve never seen such a whiny, spoiled, diva-like pitcher than Beckett. I’d bet my house that he’s not hurt, he just doesn’t want to pitch at Fenway where the fans booed him. Such a little Sally…

2. kkingprior - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

So when is his tee time this weekend?

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

• bw1980 - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Well, given the choice between Beckett teeing off on a golf course or having nine men tee off on him, I guess I’d rather he be paid $15M to take his fat ass out to the country club then to be at Fenway.

3. Glenn - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I would hope that Morales replaces Aaron Cook in the long term. I think that carriage has turned back into a pumpkin.

4. willclarkgameface - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Josh will be teeing off at 7am on Sunday and should be finished in time to pick up his to-go bucket of chicken to bring to the Fenway home clubhouse so he can watch Morales get SPANKED by the Twins.

Beckett is a fucking ass hole, but you know what? His bosses let him act this way so they are ass holes too. There’s no way he’s going to change in Boston. It’s too perfectly comfortable for him. Guaranteed contract, bosses let him act like a dick.

I just hope Red Sox fans continue to boo the pants off this fucker until he just can’t pitch anymore and hangs it up.

5. tfbuckfutter - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Now the really bad news…..he actually scratched himself from the start and got a blister doing it….then he pulled his lat getting up from his barcalounger.

• crisisjunky - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

no, he actually got out of the chair small effort, the lat injury occurred receiving the heimlich
      to dislodge the gristle.

6. tfbuckfutter - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

You know what I think the biggest problem with Beckett is this season?

You know how girls will always have an ugly and/or fat friend that they go out with because it makes them look more attractive by comparison?

I think Beckett misses JD Drew. Because he looked like a stud compared to Nancy.

7. badintent - Aug 4, 2012 at 4:40 AM

always great to hear BRS fans rag on Beckett. They do a much better job than Yankee fans like myself ever could.Love to hear Curt will be replacing Bobby V … with himself as manager. He managed his game company real good too.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3514)