Aug 3, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT
Josh Hamilton showed some life at the plate last night, going 2-for-5 with a double and four RBIs after batting just .167 from July 1 through August 1, but once again declined to address the details surrounding his cryptic comments about something troubling the former MVP.
People are not going to understand, I’ll share more later. It’s out there that my marriage is falling apart and people are trying to figure out what’s going on. But it’s nobody’s business. When I let you know, I’ll let you know.
Hamilton started all the speculation last week by making these comments:
I’ve been shown a lot of things over the past week. There’s disobedience and there’s obedience to God. I’ve been being disobedient. It may be a small thing to you, but it’s a big thing to him. There’s consequences. It’s like a father and a kid. There are disciplines. You guys can chew on that and think about it.
And so without any further details people have followed his advice to “chew on that and think about it” by speculating what exactly he was talking about. And manager Ron Washington furthered the speculation by saying during a radio interview that “Josh would definitely have to be the one to expose” the details and “it’s certainly not physical … it has nothing to do with injuries.”
As an impending free agent and former MVP with a long history of drug and alcohol problems who’s gone from the best player in baseball early on this season to an extended slump hitting below .200 it’s no surprise that Hamilton’s comments have led to rumors and speculation.
At some point he’s going to have to address the issue rather than just saying over and over again that he’ll “share more later,” but in the meantime the Rangers will certainly be happy if he starts hitting again.
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 13
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 60
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 22
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 6
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2