Aug 3, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT
Josh Hamilton showed some life at the plate last night, going 2-for-5 with a double and four RBIs after batting just .167 from July 1 through August 1, but once again declined to address the details surrounding his cryptic comments about something troubling the former MVP.
People are not going to understand, I’ll share more later. It’s out there that my marriage is falling apart and people are trying to figure out what’s going on. But it’s nobody’s business. When I let you know, I’ll let you know.
Hamilton started all the speculation last week by making these comments:
I’ve been shown a lot of things over the past week. There’s disobedience and there’s obedience to God. I’ve been being disobedient. It may be a small thing to you, but it’s a big thing to him. There’s consequences. It’s like a father and a kid. There are disciplines. You guys can chew on that and think about it.
And so without any further details people have followed his advice to “chew on that and think about it” by speculating what exactly he was talking about. And manager Ron Washington furthered the speculation by saying during a radio interview that “Josh would definitely have to be the one to expose” the details and “it’s certainly not physical … it has nothing to do with injuries.”
As an impending free agent and former MVP with a long history of drug and alcohol problems who’s gone from the best player in baseball early on this season to an extended slump hitting below .200 it’s no surprise that Hamilton’s comments have led to rumors and speculation.
At some point he’s going to have to address the issue rather than just saying over and over again that he’ll “share more later,” but in the meantime the Rangers will certainly be happy if he starts hitting again.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)