Aug 3, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
Philadelphia’s sell-off continues, as the Phillies have traded Joe Blanton to the Dodgers for a player to be named later or cash after the right-hander was claimed off revocable waivers by Los Angeles.
Leading up to Tuesday’s non-waiver trade deadline Blanton was said to be on the verge of being traded to the Orioles, but the remaining $3 million or so the impending free agent is owed this season reportedly held that deal up.
In claiming Blanton off waivers the Dodgers committed to potentially taking on his entire contract had the Phillies simply said, “OK, you can have him.” Instead the two sides worked out a swap, although it’s tough to offer much analysis without knowing the identity–or at least general quality level–of the player to be named later.
Blanton has had a tough time keeping the ball in the ballpark, serving up an NL-high 22 homers on the way to a 4.59 ERA, but has generally been a solid fourth or fifth starter and actually has the league’s best strikeout-to-walk ratio this season at 115-to-18 in 133 innings.
Blanton was scheduled to start for the Phillies tonight against Diamondbacks, but now Kyle Kendrick will take his place.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)