Ryan Dempster gets bombed, Rangers win anyway

Aug 3, 2012, 12:35 AM EDT

Ryan Dempster Getty Images

Making his Rangers debut, Ryan Dempster surrendered eight runs Thursday against the Angels, yet opposing starter C.J. Wilson was just as bad and Texas won a shootout 15-9.

Dempster gave up his eight runs in 4 2/3 innings, while Wilson, an ex-Ranger who left for Anaheim in free agency last winter,yielded eight runs in 5 1/3 innings, making it a battle of the bullpens. The Rangers held the big advantage there thanks to Roy Oswalt in his first appearance since being bumped from the rotation. Working in relief for the 14th time in his career, he pitched two scoreless innings and picked up his 163rd career victory.

Ian Kinsler and Nelson Cruz homered for the Rangers. They also had six doubles among their 18 hits, Josh Hamilton drove in four runs, and Geovany Soto went 2-for-5 with a two-run double in his first start behind the plate for Texas.

In his major league debut, Mike Olt went 1-for-3 with a run scored before being replaced by Mitch Moreland at first base.

The Angels got homers from Mark Trumbo, Kendrys Morales and Alberto Callaspo in the loss. They scored 40 runs in the four-game series in Texas, yet won only two out of four games. The Rangers ended up with 36 runs in the series.

Texas currently has a five-game lead over the Angels in the AL West.

1. jeffbbf - Aug 3, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Welcome to the AL, Dumpster. Your little hissy fit over the ATL deal will probably cost you $10 million on your next contract. Too bad.

• fearlessleader - Aug 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Perhaps we could refrain from making sweeping generalizations about the AL’s superiority and Dempster’s future based on his first few innings in a brand-new place…..?

Nah, doubt it. :)

(P.S. American League collective batting through yesterday’s games: .255/.321/.412. National League collective batting through yesterday’s games: .254/.318/.402….look, Ma, no DH!)

• baseballisboring - Aug 3, 2012 at 4:33 AM

I agree that we shouldn’t jump to any conclusions based on one start, I think Dempster is good enough to be solid in the AL. But he will be facing tougher lineups for sure, also in a really tough park. The fact that he doesn’t have to face the Rangers is a plus. But the AL beat the NL 142-110 in interleague play this year. The offensive lines are obviously very similar, but the pitching isn’t as good in the NL. Obviously the NL has plenty of stars, but the middle to back end of most rosters in the NL are considerably weaker.

I don’t know if I’d call it a “hissy fit” necessarily, but whatever happened, he probably did cost himself some money.

• fearlessleader - Aug 3, 2012 at 4:52 AM

National League pitching: 3.99 ERA, 1.32 WHIP

American League pitching: 4.10 ERA, 1.31 WHIP

….But the usual response to that is “Yes, but the hitters aren’t as good in the NL!”, which sets up a nice little catch-22. It seems pretty unlikely that the NL’s pitching and offense are so evenly matched in their inferiority as to result in nearly identical stats between the leagues, doesn’t it?

142-110 is lopsided, to be sure. This is getting off-topic, but the interleague DH rules pretty clearly favor the AL teams—not by much, certainly, but probably by enough to account (when combined with the vagaries of chance) for the AL’s historic 52% winning record in interleague play.

Anyway—Dempster’s definitely facing some challenges in his new gig, but I’m more worried about the fact that the Rangers have significantly upped their Ex-Cub Factor in the last week or so. Don’t they know about the curse??

• baseballisboring - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:32 AM

I’m not really talking historically, though. 5 years would probably be a better reference point (kind of arbitrary I guess but I think it works here). In the last 5 years the AL has a 57% winning percentage. Is the DH enough to cover that 7% disparity? Especially when the vast majority of the time at least one of the pitcher’s at-bats gets taken by a pinch hitter who probably isn’t much worse than your average DH? I mean, David Ortiz is a pretty big exception, the DH is just used as positional flexibility for a lot of teams.

I think the pitching+hitting being so evenly matched across leagues is probably more randomness than anything? If you look back at the same numbers over the last few years, I doubt they’re that similar, but I haven’t looked. Either way, 1250 games is a pretty big sample, and there have also been a lot more stars transferring from the NL to the AL than vice versa in the last several years, pitchers and hitters, which I think plays a big part in it.

• bigmeechy74 - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I have always been a much bigger fan of the NL, but if you are claiming that the NL is just as high quality as the AL then you are delusional.

2. beefytrout - Aug 3, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Dempster had a bit of Darvish-syndrome… there were times when he looked masterful and other times where nothing he threw worked. Not the greatest beginning to his Rangers time, but let’s give him a few starts to see where it goes.

3. number42is1 - Aug 3, 2012 at 1:28 AM

welcome to the big leagues Dempster!

4. soundsofsuccess7 - Aug 3, 2012 at 1:42 AM

fucking Scioscia man. this clown has got to go.

• angrycorgi - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Don’t hold it in, tell us how you really feel.

I don’t think MLB can survive without Mike Scioscia. After all, that pathetic “I just got my lunch money taken away from me by a mean ol’ bully” face he projects after ever home plate call he doesn’t like brings me much joy and would leave a void in my soul if removed.

5. billymc75 - Aug 3, 2012 at 4:38 AM

Cliff Lee did the same his first game at Texas, he got bombed.

• fearlessleader - Aug 3, 2012 at 4:55 AM

After the last two nights, a whole lot of Angel fans are probably getting bombed.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 3, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I am sure that Dempster had a beer or 2 after the game as it was hot out there; however, unlike those Angels fans he certainly did not get bombed.

6. Walk - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Dempster is a good fit for the rangers park. He strikes out more than your average pitcher and keeps the ball down both of which are big advantages in any hitters park. Well that being said todays results kinda stand on their own.

7. alexo0 - Aug 3, 2012 at 7:47 AM

I got bombed last night too. It didn’t work out as well for me.

8. Old Gator - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I’m too old to get bombed, but I have been strafed once or twice lately.

9. angrycorgi - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    • bravojawja - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Couldn’t’ve said it better myself. Brevity is, indeed, the soul of wit.

10. istillbelieveinblue - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Demp couldn’t keep his splitter down last night. That pitch is devastating when it ends up in the dirt, but when he leaves it up, it gets pounded. He hung a handful of sliders, too. He wasn’t making those mistakes in Chicago. I think he’ll be fine. This isn’t an AL vs NL thing. High School players will crush splitters that come in belt high.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto