Aug 3, 2012, 12:35 AM EDT
Dempster gave up his eight runs in 4 2/3 innings, while Wilson, an ex-Ranger who left for Anaheim in free agency last winter,yielded eight runs in 5 1/3 innings, making it a battle of the bullpens. The Rangers held the big advantage there thanks to Roy Oswalt in his first appearance since being bumped from the rotation. Working in relief for the 14th time in his career, he pitched two scoreless innings and picked up his 163rd career victory.
Ian Kinsler and Nelson Cruz homered for the Rangers. They also had six doubles among their 18 hits, Josh Hamilton drove in four runs, and Geovany Soto went 2-for-5 with a two-run double in his first start behind the plate for Texas.
In his major league debut, Mike Olt went 1-for-3 with a run scored before being replaced by Mitch Moreland at first base.
The Angels got homers from Mark Trumbo, Kendrys Morales and Alberto Callaspo in the loss. They scored 40 runs in the four-game series in Texas, yet won only two out of four games. The Rangers ended up with 36 runs in the series.
Texas currently has a five-game lead over the Angels in the AL West.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)