Aug 3, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
The Dodgers acquired Joe Blanton from the Phillies late this afternoon in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. While it’s certainly not the flashiest of moves, the acquisition makes even more sense now that Eric Stephen of True Blue L.A. is reporting that Ted Lilly was scratched from a rehab appearance with High-A Rancho Cucamonga tonight due to a setback with his shoulder.
Lilly went 5-1 with a 3.14 ERA and 31/19 K/BB ratio over his first eight starts this season prior to being placed on the disabled list on May 24 due to left shoulder inflammation. The veteran southpaw tossed two scoreless innings in his first rehab appearance on Sunday, but the shoulder has apparently cropped up again this week. The hope is that he’ll be able to throw a bullpen session at some point in the next few days, but he’s obviously not anywhere close to coming off the disabled list.
As of now, the Dodgers will go with Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, Chris Capuano, Aaron Harang and Blanton in their rotation. They were reportedly awarded claiming rights today on left-hander Cliff Lee and have three days to complete a trade with the Phillies, but a deal is considered unlikely.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)