Aug 3, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
The Dodgers acquired Joe Blanton from the Phillies late this afternoon in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. While it’s certainly not the flashiest of moves, the acquisition makes even more sense now that Eric Stephen of True Blue L.A. is reporting that Ted Lilly was scratched from a rehab appearance with High-A Rancho Cucamonga tonight due to a setback with his shoulder.
Lilly went 5-1 with a 3.14 ERA and 31/19 K/BB ratio over his first eight starts this season prior to being placed on the disabled list on May 24 due to left shoulder inflammation. The veteran southpaw tossed two scoreless innings in his first rehab appearance on Sunday, but the shoulder has apparently cropped up again this week. The hope is that he’ll be able to throw a bullpen session at some point in the next few days, but he’s obviously not anywhere close to coming off the disabled list.
As of now, the Dodgers will go with Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, Chris Capuano, Aaron Harang and Blanton in their rotation. They were reportedly awarded claiming rights today on left-hander Cliff Lee and have three days to complete a trade with the Phillies, but a deal is considered unlikely.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)