Aug 3, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
The Dodgers acquired Joe Blanton from the Phillies late this afternoon in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. While it’s certainly not the flashiest of moves, the acquisition makes even more sense now that Eric Stephen of True Blue L.A. is reporting that Ted Lilly was scratched from a rehab appearance with High-A Rancho Cucamonga tonight due to a setback with his shoulder.
Lilly went 5-1 with a 3.14 ERA and 31/19 K/BB ratio over his first eight starts this season prior to being placed on the disabled list on May 24 due to left shoulder inflammation. The veteran southpaw tossed two scoreless innings in his first rehab appearance on Sunday, but the shoulder has apparently cropped up again this week. The hope is that he’ll be able to throw a bullpen session at some point in the next few days, but he’s obviously not anywhere close to coming off the disabled list.
As of now, the Dodgers will go with Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, Chris Capuano, Aaron Harang and Blanton in their rotation. They were reportedly awarded claiming rights today on left-hander Cliff Lee and have three days to complete a trade with the Phillies, but a deal is considered unlikely.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)