Aug 4, 2012, 9:37 PM EST
Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com says “doctors found what they were expecting” — a labrum tear — and were able to correct the issue in what is being labeled a successful procedure. Roberts will now embark on a 4-6 month rehab, which should conclude before the beginning of spring training next February.
The 34-year-old batted just .182 (12-for-66) with zero extra-base hits, five walks and 12 strikeouts 74 plate appearances this season. He is under contract for $13 million in 2013 before hitting the open market heading into 2014.
Roberts has played in only 115 of a potential 486 games over the last three seasons for Baltimore.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)