Aug 4, 2012, 9:37 PM EST
Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com says “doctors found what they were expecting” — a labrum tear — and were able to correct the issue in what is being labeled a successful procedure. Roberts will now embark on a 4-6 month rehab, which should conclude before the beginning of spring training next February.
The 34-year-old batted just .182 (12-for-66) with zero extra-base hits, five walks and 12 strikeouts 74 plate appearances this season. He is under contract for $13 million in 2013 before hitting the open market heading into 2014.
Roberts has played in only 115 of a potential 486 games over the last three seasons for Baltimore.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)