Aug 4, 2012, 9:37 PM EST
Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com says “doctors found what they were expecting” — a labrum tear — and were able to correct the issue in what is being labeled a successful procedure. Roberts will now embark on a 4-6 month rehab, which should conclude before the beginning of spring training next February.
The 34-year-old batted just .182 (12-for-66) with zero extra-base hits, five walks and 12 strikeouts 74 plate appearances this season. He is under contract for $13 million in 2013 before hitting the open market heading into 2014.
Roberts has played in only 115 of a potential 486 games over the last three seasons for Baltimore.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 0
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 88
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 43
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (88)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)