Aug 4, 2012, 9:37 PM EST
Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com says “doctors found what they were expecting” — a labrum tear — and were able to correct the issue in what is being labeled a successful procedure. Roberts will now embark on a 4-6 month rehab, which should conclude before the beginning of spring training next February.
The 34-year-old batted just .182 (12-for-66) with zero extra-base hits, five walks and 12 strikeouts 74 plate appearances this season. He is under contract for $13 million in 2013 before hitting the open market heading into 2014.
Roberts has played in only 115 of a potential 486 games over the last three seasons for Baltimore.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)