Aug 4, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
King Felix allowed just two hits in a complete game 1-0 victory over the Bombers. He struck out six and walked a pair while throwing just 101 pitches. The Yankees didn’t get a runner in scoring position after the first inning.
Hernandez has been one of the game’s best pitchers for a while now and won the American League Cy Young Award back in 2010, but he has collected three of his seven career shutouts over his past eight starts. He’s now tied with Toronto’s Brandon Morrow for the American League in shutouts. This was the 21st complete game of his career.
While Hiroki Kuroda was outdueled by Hernandez, he was plenty good, allowing just one run on seven hits and a walk over 6 1/3 innings en route to his first loss since June 19. The only run scored on an RBI single by Mike Carp in the top of the second inning. Kuroda’s transition to the American League got off to a bit of a rough start, but the veteran right-hander has proved to be an excellent addition for the Yanks, posting a 3.19 ERA and 111/36 K/BB ratio over 143 2/3 innings.
Hernandez is now 4-1 with a 1.14 ERA in five career starts at the new Yankee Stadium. He has a brilliant 1.41 ERA over his last 10 starts and a 2.63 ERA over 23 starts overall this season. The Mariners are a surprising 15-6 since the All-Star break.
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 20
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (110)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)