Aug 4, 2012, 4:17 PM EST
King Felix allowed just two hits in a complete game 1-0 victory over the Bombers. He struck out six and walked a pair while throwing just 101 pitches. The Yankees didn’t get a runner in scoring position after the first inning.
Hernandez has been one of the game’s best pitchers for a while now and won the American League Cy Young Award back in 2010, but he has collected three of his seven career shutouts over his past eight starts. He’s now tied with Toronto’s Brandon Morrow for the American League in shutouts. This was the 21st complete game of his career.
While Hiroki Kuroda was outdueled by Hernandez, he was plenty good, allowing just one run on seven hits and a walk over 6 1/3 innings en route to his first loss since June 19. The only run scored on an RBI single by Mike Carp in the top of the second inning. Kuroda’s transition to the American League got off to a bit of a rough start, but the veteran right-hander has proved to be an excellent addition for the Yanks, posting a 3.19 ERA and 111/36 K/BB ratio over 143 2/3 innings.
Hernandez is now 4-1 with a 1.14 ERA in five career starts at the new Yankee Stadium. He has a brilliant 1.41 ERA over his last 10 starts and a 2.63 ERA over 23 starts overall this season. The Mariners are a surprising 15-6 since the All-Star break.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)