Aug 4, 2012, 4:17 PM EST
King Felix allowed just two hits in a complete game 1-0 victory over the Bombers. He struck out six and walked a pair while throwing just 101 pitches. The Yankees didn’t get a runner in scoring position after the first inning.
Hernandez has been one of the game’s best pitchers for a while now and won the American League Cy Young Award back in 2010, but he has collected three of his seven career shutouts over his past eight starts. He’s now tied with Toronto’s Brandon Morrow for the American League in shutouts. This was the 21st complete game of his career.
While Hiroki Kuroda was outdueled by Hernandez, he was plenty good, allowing just one run on seven hits and a walk over 6 1/3 innings en route to his first loss since June 19. The only run scored on an RBI single by Mike Carp in the top of the second inning. Kuroda’s transition to the American League got off to a bit of a rough start, but the veteran right-hander has proved to be an excellent addition for the Yanks, posting a 3.19 ERA and 111/36 K/BB ratio over 143 2/3 innings.
Hernandez is now 4-1 with a 1.14 ERA in five career starts at the new Yankee Stadium. He has a brilliant 1.41 ERA over his last 10 starts and a 2.63 ERA over 23 starts overall this season. The Mariners are a surprising 15-6 since the All-Star break.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)