Aug 4, 2012, 10:21 PM EDT
CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly has the goods:
The Giants and 11-year veteran Xavier Nady have agreed to a minor league contract, club officials confirmed.
Nady, 33, is taking batting practice with Triple-A Fresno on Saturday and could be on the Grizzlies’ active roster as soon as Sunday, vice president Bobby Evans said. The contract is still pending a medical evaluation.
Nady was released by the Nationals at the end of July after batting just .157/.211/.275 with three homers and six RBI in 109 plate appearances. The 33-year-old could climb his way to the majors in September if he does well in San Francisco’s farm system.
Nady slugged 25 dingers and tallied 97 RBI in 148 games between the Pirates and Yankees in 2008.
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 0
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 11
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 96
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)