Aug 4, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
The Nationals acquired catcher Kurt Suzuki from the Athletics yesterday in exchange for minor league catcher David Freitas. Suzuki is expected to take over the starting catcher gig from Jesus Flores, who has really struggled carrying the load since Wilson Ramos suffered a season-ending knee injury in May.
Flores was asked about the trade after yesterday’s doubleheader against the Marlins. And that’s when things got awkward. Per Amanda Comak of the Washington Times, Flores said he was unaware of the deal.
“I didn’t know,” Flores said. “I just know because you told me. Nobody has told me anything.
“Nobody has say anything to me about it, so I’m just surprised.”
“I don’t even want to talk about it,” Flores said. “I’m just in shock. I didn’t know we had a new catcher.”
That’s rough. Taking Flores at his word, the Nationals could have handled the situation better considering the trade happened before the doubleheader even started. Of course, Flores is batting just .221 with a .567 OPS and has thrown out just 10.2 percent (5-for-49) of attempted basestealers this season, so he shouldn’t be surprised that the Nationals were in the market for other options.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 47
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 101
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 73
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)