Jesus Flores learned about Kurt Suzuki trade from reporters

Aug 4, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT

Jesus Flores AP AP

The Nationals acquired catcher Kurt Suzuki from the Athletics yesterday in exchange for minor league catcher David Freitas. Suzuki is expected to take over the starting catcher gig from Jesus Flores, who has really struggled carrying the load since Wilson Ramos suffered a season-ending knee injury in May.

Flores was asked about the trade after yesterday’s doubleheader against the Marlins. And that’s when things got awkward. Per Amanda Comak of the Washington Times, Flores said he was unaware of the deal.

“I didn’t know,” Flores said. “I just know because you told me. Nobody has told me anything.

“Nobody has say anything to me about it, so I’m just surprised.”

“I don’t even want to talk about it,” Flores said. “I’m just in shock. I didn’t know we had a new catcher.”

That’s rough. Taking Flores at his word, the Nationals could have handled the situation better considering the trade happened before the doubleheader even started. Of course, Flores is batting just .221 with a .567 OPS and has thrown out just 10.2 percent (5-for-49) of attempted basestealers this season, so he shouldn’t be surprised that the Nationals were in the market for other options.

1. braddavery - Aug 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I don’t see how Suzuki, besides maybe defensively, is much if any of an upgrade. Suzuki has a .536 OPS this season to Flores’ .576.

• D.J. Short - Aug 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Right. It’s probably fair to call them a wash offensively, but Suzuki still has a strong defensive reputation. Flores just can’t touch him there.

• 18thstreet - Aug 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Suzuki will get an offensive upgrade moving to the NL. A .550 OPS is not the same in the AL and NL.

• kkolchak - Aug 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Nats GM Mike Rizzo has a strong preference for plus-defenders–witness how he replaced Adam Dunn with Adam LaRoche. With a young pitching staff that is excelling beyond expectations, he no doubt felt he had to make an upgrade at the catcher’s position. Any offense the Nats get from Suzuki will be gravy.

• braddavery - Aug 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Yeah, I guess it makes sense when you break it down. Plus Suzuki has a better overall track record. He’s just having a down season.

• biasedhomer - Aug 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Im sure the choice between LaRoche and Dunn was only defensive capability. It’s not like Dunn wanted $50M more than LaRoche

2. jrocknstuff - Aug 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Suzuki throws out over 38% of potential base stealers, that number alone was enough for Rizzo to make the change. If he were getting any offensive production at all from Flores he may be able to live with his miserable D

3. psunick - Aug 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Talk about being blindsided

4. pantherpro - Aug 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Typical cheap A’s. Luckily nobody cares!

5. recoveringcubsfan - Aug 4, 2012 at 10:47 PM

It’s been said before, but it bears repeating: Flores is really terrible at selling pitches. He’s even bad at just framing good pitches on the corners. Yesterday, he actually just plain missed two pitches that were headed right at him.

Part of me doesn’t believe that he heard about the Suzuki trade only after the doubleheader – he looked pretty distracted yesterday during the first game; see: missed two pitches that were headed right at him. I think a reporter mis-reported this or misunderstood what Flores said about when he heard about the trade. I mean, by the transcript it would seem that Jesus’s use of specific verbiage in regards to past, present, and future tense is lacking.

6. pantherpro - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM

17000 today? Nobody cares!

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS