Aug 4, 2012, 5:39 PM EST
The Orioles signed Endy Chavez to a one-year, $1.5 million contract over the winter to serve as a fourth outfielder, but he was designated for assignment this afternoon in order to make room for the promotion of former All-Star outfielder Nate McLouth.
Chavez was a big disappointment with the Orioles this season, batting just .190/.222/.281 with two home runs, eight RBI, two stolen bases and a .503 OPS in 129 plate appearances. The 33-year-old has served stints on the disabled list due to hamstring and oblique injuries. Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that the O’s are now exploring possible trades for the veteran outfielder.
McLouth was granted his release by the Pirates at the end of May after batting just .140 (8-for-57) in 34 games. The 30-year-old signed a minor league deal with the Orioles a few days later and batted .244/.325/.461 with 10 homers and a .786 OPS in 47 games during his time with Triple-A Norfolk. According to Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, McLouth’s contract included an out-clause if he wasn’t promoted to the majors by Saturday. He’s starting in left field and batting seventh tonight against the Rays.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 40
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (244)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)