Aug 4, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
The Athletics won another thriller last night against the Blue Jays, but they were given a bit of a scare when slugger Yoenis Cespedes was lifted for pinch-hitter Michael Taylor in the eighth inning. It turns out he sprained his right wrist when he was thrown out trying to steal third base in the sixth inning.
Cespedes is out of the lineup this afternoon and is currently considered day-to-day. Athletics manager Bob Melvin told Casey Pratt of CSNBayArea.com that the Cuban outfielder will try to swing the bat today and could potentially be available off the bench, so it doesn’t sound like a major concern.
Cespedes is batting .310/.370/.531 with 14 home runs, 54 RBI, nine stolen bases and a .901 OPS in 74 games played this season. He has missed 32 games due to hand, hamstring and thumb injuries. The A’s are 46-28 with him in the lineup and just 12-20 without him.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)