Aug 5, 2012, 4:53 PM EST
That makes for a few oddities:
– His hitting streak with exactly one hit in each game is the longest since the Dodgers’ Willy Aybar had a 13-game streak in 2006. The Cardinals’ Ted Sizemore has the longest such streak since 1970, going 16 straight games in 1975.
– Dating back to his last game with the Mariners, Ichiro has now gone 13 games without a strikeout, the third longest stretch of his career. He went 15 games without a strikeout in both 2004 and 2008.
– The walkless streak doesn’t rate so high on the list. At 13 games without a walk, he’s merely tied for the 10th longest streak of his career. He went 25 games without a walk early on in his rookie season of 2001 (hitting .375 during the span). Also, he had streaks of 19 and 17 games without walks earlier this season.
– However, to go without a strikeout or a walk for 13 games is a new milestone for him. His previous long there were nine-game streaks in 2001 (during his career-high walkless streak) and 2008 (during his career-high K-less streak).
– At 12 games, he’s now tied with Don Slaught (1988) for the longest hitting streak to begin a career for the Yankees.
– Ichiro hit .261 in 402 at-bats for the Mariners this season. After 46 at-bats for the Yankees, he’s likewise at .261.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 5
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)