Aug 5, 2012, 4:53 PM EDT
That makes for a few oddities:
- His hitting streak with exactly one hit in each game is the longest since the Dodgers’ Willy Aybar had a 13-game streak in 2006. The Cardinals’ Ted Sizemore has the longest such streak since 1970, going 16 straight games in 1975.
- Dating back to his last game with the Mariners, Ichiro has now gone 13 games without a strikeout, the third longest stretch of his career. He went 15 games without a strikeout in both 2004 and 2008.
- The walkless streak doesn’t rate so high on the list. At 13 games without a walk, he’s merely tied for the 10th longest streak of his career. He went 25 games without a walk early on in his rookie season of 2001 (hitting .375 during the span). Also, he had streaks of 19 and 17 games without walks earlier this season.
- However, to go without a strikeout or a walk for 13 games is a new milestone for him. His previous long there were nine-game streaks in 2001 (during his career-high walkless streak) and 2008 (during his career-high K-less streak).
- At 12 games, he’s now tied with Don Slaught (1988) for the longest hitting streak to begin a career for the Yankees.
- Ichiro hit .261 in 402 at-bats for the Mariners this season. After 46 at-bats for the Yankees, he’s likewise at .261.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 54
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 27
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)