Aug 5, 2012, 2:52 PM EDT
As first reported by beat writer Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com, the Red Sox have acquired infielder Danny Valencia from the Twins in exchange for minor-league outfielder Jeremias Pineda.
Valencia has been assigned to Triple-A Pawtucket, where he’ll attempt to rebuild his career after batting just .198/.212/.310 in 132 plate appearances with Minnesota and .250/.289/.399 for their Triple-A club.
The 27-year-old slugged 15 home runs and collected 72 RBI across 608 plate appearances last season.
Pinedas, 21, was hitting .421 with a .981 OPS in 36 games this year for Boston’s Gulf Coast League affiliate.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)