Aug 5, 2012, 2:52 PM EDT
As first reported by beat writer Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com, the Red Sox have acquired infielder Danny Valencia from the Twins in exchange for minor-league outfielder Jeremias Pineda.
Valencia has been assigned to Triple-A Pawtucket, where he’ll attempt to rebuild his career after batting just .198/.212/.310 in 132 plate appearances with Minnesota and .250/.289/.399 for their Triple-A club.
The 27-year-old slugged 15 home runs and collected 72 RBI across 608 plate appearances last season.
Pinedas, 21, was hitting .421 with a .981 OPS in 36 games this year for Boston’s Gulf Coast League affiliate.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)