Surging Chipper Jones still intends to retire

Aug 5, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT

Chipper Jones AP

Considering he’s doing the whole farewell tour thing, it would be kind of lame if Chipper Jones decided to come back for another season in 2013. Yet as well as he’s playing, who could blame him if he did want to have another go at it? Jones, though, said once again Sunday that his retirement decision is final.

“I thought I was fully capable of doing what I’m doing,” he told Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “In fact, I told my agent in spring training. He told me, ‘You can’t back-track on this [retirement decision]. If you’ve got 20 homers and you’re hitting .300 and you’ve got 80 or 90 RBIs, you can’t second-guess yourself.’ And I said, well, I’m going to have those numbers, and I’m ready to leave.

“I’m ready to move on.”

At least we’ll still have his tweets.

1. cranbery - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

As much as we are all going to miss him, it is better to go out on top! He is the Best of the Braves!!!!!

2. missthemexpos - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Nice to finish your career with a strong final season, and if the Braves can do something in the post season that would be icing on the cake.

3. muckthefets - Aug 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Chipper I have faith that you won’t pull a Brett Favre

4. deadeyedesign23 - Aug 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM

“I’m going to have those numbers, and I’m ready to leave”

That’s pretty gangster.

5. giselleisasucubus - Aug 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Breath Mets fans, breath….he should have a Mets pitcher give his HOF Induction Speech.

• bobulated - Aug 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Or Bobby Valentine who could never resist pitching to him in a big moment…

6. Glenn - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I remember thinking the same thing about Yaz when I was a sophomore in college. His career started several years before I was born but he was hitting over .300 for his last month. I guess it was a good thing that he retired, but it was good to see an adored Hall of Famer retiring on a strong note. We will all miss Chipper’s talents when he is gone.

7. illcomm - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM

he has missed 40 games already this season. how is that surging.

8. thefalcon123 - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM

In his last 30 games, he is hitting .377/.455/.642

Hence, “surging”.

9. illcomm - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM

well when u only play every now n then u can surge.

10. stex52 - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Good for Chipper. I’m a bit older than he is, but also intending to retire in a year or so. It will be my second retirement. There is a lot to be said for going because you are ready, not because someone told you that you need to. He is showing a little class and a little of that extraordinary talent as he goes.

11. jengibre23 - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Hope he does end it this season. Hes a great players and I am a braves fan an I wanna see him go out with these stats. Hopefully he doesn’t pull a Brett favre and have a 3 year tour

Ace-killer Giants do it again