Bud’s blue ribbon Oakland A’s committee had a “secret meeting” with Oakland officials

Aug 6, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT

Image (1) athletics%20logo.gif for post 4014

I guess it’s not fair to say that the committee Bud Selig put on the Oakland A’s-to-San Jose case three years ago is doing nothing. Because they’re apparently having cloak and dagger meetings with Oakland officials in an effort to come up with some alternative to Lew Wolff’s designs on the south bay:

Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig’s blue-ribbon committee snuck into town Wednesday for a top secret meeting with East Bay officials and boosters at a downtown Oakland law office to discuss a new plan for an A’s waterfront ballpark …

… For months, [Oakland mayor Jean] Quan and company have been publicly touting the idea of building the new ballpark next to the Oakland Coliseum as part of a huge sports, housing and retail complex. But this meeting focused on a waterfront ballpark – most likely at Howard Terminal at the Port of Oakland.

I’ll defer to APBA Guy or other bay area people who follow this more closely, but I had always been of the impression that the various Oakland plans that have been tossed around over the years are more pie-in-the-sky things. Mostly because (a) the Oakland economy is awful; (b) there is zero appetite for public dollars to be spent on ballparks in the bay area; and (c) A’s owner Lew Wolff has no desire to explore the possibilities at all.

But hey, at least Bud’s committee actually did something. And now they can turn in expense reports and everything like they’re a real working entity and stuff.

UPDATE: Rhamesis Muncada (a.k.a. Marine Layer) at his website, newballpark.org, has a take that sounds about right:

“The cynic in me looks at this trip with a simple explanation. Summer owners’ meetings are scheduled for next week, and while there will be more pressing matters on the agenda (Padres sale, national TV deals, Nats-O’s-MASN deal) it’s expected that there will be some sort of update on the A’s-Giants ongoing saga. What better way to look like you’re doing something than to have a couple of meetings right before the owners’ sessions? It seems unlikely that Selig will be able to render a decision or bring up a vote based on whatever new information was gathered based on the trip since it’s so fresh, so it’s just one more opportunity to kick the can down the road…”

1. sportfan23 - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Just move them to Vancouver or Montreal.

• cur68 - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

And rename them “The Beavers”. Then my life would be a little closer to perfect.

• APBA Guy - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM

And dress them in Lumberjack style uniforms?

“I’m a lumberjack and I’m ok…”

• cur68 - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Lumberjack Uniforms? Lets not make a mockery of the team, APBA. I mean, the club should have some dignity. Some gravitas. Bad enough their fans have been known as “Athletic Supporters” these decades. No, I think a simple red uniform with a logo consisting of a field of green with a Beaver Rampant would be much more dignified.

• bravojawja - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM

“Beaver Rampant” needs to be the name of an all-girl punk band.

• sportsdrenched.com - Aug 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

If you’re going to name a team “Beavers” it is federal law that they be moved to Eaton, CO….or OH.

…and by federal law I mean I made that up.

• dwaynehosey - Aug 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM

…or Kissimmee, FL

• cur68 - Aug 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

uh…ok I wish I’d said that. Either one: they’re both gold, baby.

• natslady - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

gravitas? Have you seen the Cardinals blue uni’s? Please tell me that was some kind of 70’s retro game.

• cur68 - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Well not everyone was happy when disco died, eh? I’m sure Tony’s behind the whole thing.

• umrguy42 - Aug 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

70’s retro game? Please!

That was an 80’s retro uni! Celebrating beating the Brew crew in the ’82 WS, with a sweep.

2. APBA Guy - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

The real expert in these matters is Rhamesis Muncada (a.k.a. Marine Layer) at his website:

His last paragraph in today’s entry, which discusses the meeting in Oakland, is telling:

• hcf95688 - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Muncada does a great job. The New Ballpark blog is really the only place to get informed, well thought out information about the A’s efforts to land a new stadium.

3. darthicarus - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM

The secret meeting was more or less to remind members that they were in fact still a part of the blue-ribbon club.

4. dawgpoundmember - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I am honestly surprised MLB hasn’t explored a team in Mexico or Puerto Rico yet.

5. bigleagues - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I hear that a name change is one of the suggestions being made by the commission . . .

The Oakland Anathema’s

6. chill1184 - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM

“(b) there is zero appetite for public dollars to be spent on ballparks in the bay area”

It’s not just the Bay area, people are waking up to the lie that is Sports Welfare. We saw it when the NY Islanders were trying to bid for a new building and the fight is continuing in Arizona for the Coyotes. What I don’t understand is why wont these owners just put up the money just to renovate their current buildings?

7. SmackSaw - Aug 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Move them to Buffalo and rename them the Wings.

8. cackalackyank - Aug 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I have to say it is a real shame to see a franchise that seems to know how to develop good ball players fall flat on its face because they have a dump for a stadium. I can’t say I have seen the numbers, but I have to believe their stadium revenue must be lowest or at best bottom 3 in the bigs. If I owned this team I would be putting it flatly…’I move to San Jose, I move somewhere else with MLB blessing…or buy me out now guys.”

9. leftywildcat - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Move them back to Philadelphia. Phillies sell out every game, and AL East rivalries would be a very big draw.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS