David Ortiz: “I’m still very sore … the pain won’t go away”

Aug 6, 2012, 12:48 PM EST

David Ortiz AP

David Ortiz remains on the disabled list with an Achilles’ tendon injury suffered on July 16 and the Red Sox designated hitter told Ian Browne of MLB.com that he’s “thinking about” seeking an alternate form of treatment:

I have to talk to the doctors. I have to get more information. The doctors have given me some ideas, because I’m still very sore. I have to talk to them to see what’s up. … I haven’t played in the past three weeks and I still have pain. I’m not worried about getting worse, because I know I’m getting better. But the pain won’t go away. I don’t know if that’s part of the healing process, I don’t know. Some days I feel better, and the next day is going to be even better, and the next day it continues to be sore.

He was eligible to come off the DL on August 1, but there’s no timetable for his return and Ortiz stressed that he’s not interested in getting a cortisone injection.

1. chill1184 - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I’m kinda curious what the “alternate” treatment is.

2. Glenn - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Achilles tendons are notoriously slow to heal. I jammed one once in a minor incident. It seemed like no big deal, but I could not run or jump for several months without re-aggravating it. It is a big tendon with little blood flow – there is no magic treatment to make it all better.

• bigleagues - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I guarantee he is seeking out the possibility of Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) which is controversial int he medical community but has seemingly made a difference for several players in re-establishing health and their careers . . . most notably Bartolo Colon.

One of the epicenters of PRP treatment is the Dominican.

If, as Glenn states, the Achilles has very little blood flow . . . then PRP may make a lot of sense to at least try to spurn on faster healing.

BTW, for those who didn’t think that Ortiz was the player that the Red Sox could least afford to lose . . . from WEEI.com’s Alex Speier”

<blockquote cite="http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2012/08/05/david-ortiz-injury-may-be-straw-broke-red-sox-&quot; When Ortiz landed on the DL, the Sox were averaging 5.0 runs per game, the second highest average in the AL. In his absence, the Sox are scoring 4.1 runs per game, a mark that is 11th in the AL in that time.

Is it possible to suggest that the loss of Ortiz is making that big a difference to the Sox? Yes. Yes it is.

The 36-year-old is having an incredible year. He is hitting .316 with a .414 OBP (2nd in the AL, just behind Joe Mauer), .609 slugging mark (tops in the AL), 1.024 OPS (first in the AL) and 23 homers. At the time of his injury, he was amidst an amazing run in which he’d collected at least one hit and one walk in 10 straight games, a historic run of such consistent presence on the bases.

He represented the lineup position that gave the Red Sox — by quite a bit — their most significant advantage. Again, he led the AL in OPS, meaning that in the batter’s box, he was impacting the game like no one else in the league.

That considerable advantage over the league average designated hitter has yielded to a drastic drop in production. Here’s the line of Red Sox designated hitters in the absence of Ortiz: .250 with a .306 OBP, .353 slugging mark and .658 OPS. That is considerably below not just the marks of Ortiz but also those of the league average (.261/.335/.439/.774).

3. number42is1 - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

“David Ortiz: “I’m still very sore … the pain won’t go away””

they make a cream for that

4. mybrunoblog - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Achilles injuries are tricky. Sometimes, they never completely heal. Sounds crazy but it’s almost better to tear it and have it surgically repaired. Strains and pulls suck. They almost never totally heal. You just learn to stretch and strengthen it and hope for the best.

• otistaylor89 - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

As someone who ruptured their Achilles, strains and pulls are better – I was in a non-walking cast for 5 weeks after surgery.
      And forget a cortisone shot, unless he wants to guarantee to rupture it.

5. bellylard - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Used to be a pain-killing liquid available in that clubhouse too.

6. randygnyc - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

David has shown enough this year to get a decent contract next year. At least that’s what I feel he’s thinking. So, under that premise, he can be done for the year. He’s still getting paid. I think he doesn’t really want to play for this team anymore.

7. Kevin Gillman - Aug 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

But why won’t he get a cortizone shot? Baseball players get that treatment all the time.

8. deathmonkey41 - Aug 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I’m surprised he didn’t start crying like he usually does- asking how God could have done something like this to him?

9. willclarkgameface - Aug 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM

The alternate treatment is a trip to the Dominican to get some “R and R”. This guy is done. He’s hurt – BUTT HURT.

Stop bitching Ortiz. You’ll never get the money you thought you should get and if the Sox were right on with anything this year it was that they didn’t sign you to a long term deal. Other than that, they are idiots.

10. ejannetta - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Blah! Blah! Blah!…Big Sloppi should go on a diet..you fat a$$.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4614)
  2. M. Kemp (3674)
  3. M. Cabrera (2897)
  4. J. Kang (2650)
  5. M. Morse (2590)
  1. J. Upton (2546)
  2. A. Rios (2226)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2182)
  4. C. Headley (2177)