Aug 6, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Mijares signed a one-year deal with the Royals after being non-tendered by the Twins this offseason and has pitched well with a 2.56 ERA and 37/13 K/BB ratio in 39 innings.
By not pulling him back off waivers and allowing the Giants to assume his contract the Royals only save about $350,000, so it’s a bit of an odd move considering how effective Mijares has been for most of the season. Why give him away for nothing?
And the highlight of Mijares’ season was undoubtedly sharing a hotel elevator with me while the Royals were in Minnesota during the SABR convention.
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 33
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 6
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 25
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 33
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 88
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)