Aug 6, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Mijares signed a one-year deal with the Royals after being non-tendered by the Twins this offseason and has pitched well with a 2.56 ERA and 37/13 K/BB ratio in 39 innings.
By not pulling him back off waivers and allowing the Giants to assume his contract the Royals only save about $350,000, so it’s a bit of an odd move considering how effective Mijares has been for most of the season. Why give him away for nothing?
And the highlight of Mijares’ season was undoubtedly sharing a hotel elevator with me while the Royals were in Minnesota during the SABR convention.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 53
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (238)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)