Aug 6, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Mijares signed a one-year deal with the Royals after being non-tendered by the Twins this offseason and has pitched well with a 2.56 ERA and 37/13 K/BB ratio in 39 innings.
By not pulling him back off waivers and allowing the Giants to assume his contract the Royals only save about $350,000, so it’s a bit of an odd move considering how effective Mijares has been for most of the season. Why give him away for nothing?
And the highlight of Mijares’ season was undoubtedly sharing a hotel elevator with me while the Royals were in Minnesota during the SABR convention.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)