Aug 6, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT
Gotta love the way the New York tabloids handle Yankees-Red Sox things. Check out this headline in the Daily News:
Red Sox turn their backs on history
You’d think they committed some awful atrocity like using a Ted Williams jersey to clean up the men’s room or something. The reality: they didn’t feel like bidding on a silver trophy the team’s owner was once given for winning the 1912 World Series:
The New Jersey memorabilia collector who sold the trophy commemorating the Boston Red Sox’s 1912 World Series victory last week says he’s shocked the club showed no interest in the piece.
“Boston prides itself in its history,” Robert Fraser tells The Score. “John Henry and his crew blew this one! … I am shocked that the Red Sox didn’t bid on their historical 1912 World Series Trophy. It’s extremely disappointing that they would rather have the replica 1912 World Series Trophy on display at Fenway Park instead of having the real one,” he says.
Another way to describe this story, then, would be “memorabilia dealer mad that the Red Sox didn’t bid up the price, thereby enriching memorabilia dealer further.”
I mean, if he really cared about history and tradition and stuff, he’d donate the thing to the team so they could put it on display for all of the fans to see, right?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 8
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)