Aug 6, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT
Gotta love the way the New York tabloids handle Yankees-Red Sox things. Check out this headline in the Daily News:
Red Sox turn their backs on history
You’d think they committed some awful atrocity like using a Ted Williams jersey to clean up the men’s room or something. The reality: they didn’t feel like bidding on a silver trophy the team’s owner was once given for winning the 1912 World Series:
The New Jersey memorabilia collector who sold the trophy commemorating the Boston Red Sox’s 1912 World Series victory last week says he’s shocked the club showed no interest in the piece.
“Boston prides itself in its history,” Robert Fraser tells The Score. “John Henry and his crew blew this one! … I am shocked that the Red Sox didn’t bid on their historical 1912 World Series Trophy. It’s extremely disappointing that they would rather have the replica 1912 World Series Trophy on display at Fenway Park instead of having the real one,” he says.
Another way to describe this story, then, would be “memorabilia dealer mad that the Red Sox didn’t bid up the price, thereby enriching memorabilia dealer further.”
I mean, if he really cared about history and tradition and stuff, he’d donate the thing to the team so they could put it on display for all of the fans to see, right?
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)