Aug 6, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT
Gotta love the way the New York tabloids handle Yankees-Red Sox things. Check out this headline in the Daily News:
Red Sox turn their backs on history
You’d think they committed some awful atrocity like using a Ted Williams jersey to clean up the men’s room or something. The reality: they didn’t feel like bidding on a silver trophy the team’s owner was once given for winning the 1912 World Series:
The New Jersey memorabilia collector who sold the trophy commemorating the Boston Red Sox’s 1912 World Series victory last week says he’s shocked the club showed no interest in the piece.
“Boston prides itself in its history,” Robert Fraser tells The Score. “John Henry and his crew blew this one! … I am shocked that the Red Sox didn’t bid on their historical 1912 World Series Trophy. It’s extremely disappointing that they would rather have the replica 1912 World Series Trophy on display at Fenway Park instead of having the real one,” he says.
Another way to describe this story, then, would be “memorabilia dealer mad that the Red Sox didn’t bid up the price, thereby enriching memorabilia dealer further.”
I mean, if he really cared about history and tradition and stuff, he’d donate the thing to the team so they could put it on display for all of the fans to see, right?
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 0
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 21
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 54
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 77
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 35
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (180)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)