Aug 6, 2012, 9:54 AM EST
Gotta love the way the New York tabloids handle Yankees-Red Sox things. Check out this headline in the Daily News:
Red Sox turn their backs on history
You’d think they committed some awful atrocity like using a Ted Williams jersey to clean up the men’s room or something. The reality: they didn’t feel like bidding on a silver trophy the team’s owner was once given for winning the 1912 World Series:
The New Jersey memorabilia collector who sold the trophy commemorating the Boston Red Sox’s 1912 World Series victory last week says he’s shocked the club showed no interest in the piece.
“Boston prides itself in its history,” Robert Fraser tells The Score. “John Henry and his crew blew this one! … I am shocked that the Red Sox didn’t bid on their historical 1912 World Series Trophy. It’s extremely disappointing that they would rather have the replica 1912 World Series Trophy on display at Fenway Park instead of having the real one,” he says.
Another way to describe this story, then, would be “memorabilia dealer mad that the Red Sox didn’t bid up the price, thereby enriching memorabilia dealer further.”
I mean, if he really cared about history and tradition and stuff, he’d donate the thing to the team so they could put it on display for all of the fans to see, right?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)