Aug 6, 2012, 9:54 AM EST
Gotta love the way the New York tabloids handle Yankees-Red Sox things. Check out this headline in the Daily News:
Red Sox turn their backs on history
You’d think they committed some awful atrocity like using a Ted Williams jersey to clean up the men’s room or something. The reality: they didn’t feel like bidding on a silver trophy the team’s owner was once given for winning the 1912 World Series:
The New Jersey memorabilia collector who sold the trophy commemorating the Boston Red Sox’s 1912 World Series victory last week says he’s shocked the club showed no interest in the piece.
“Boston prides itself in its history,” Robert Fraser tells The Score. “John Henry and his crew blew this one! … I am shocked that the Red Sox didn’t bid on their historical 1912 World Series Trophy. It’s extremely disappointing that they would rather have the replica 1912 World Series Trophy on display at Fenway Park instead of having the real one,” he says.
Another way to describe this story, then, would be “memorabilia dealer mad that the Red Sox didn’t bid up the price, thereby enriching memorabilia dealer further.”
I mean, if he really cared about history and tradition and stuff, he’d donate the thing to the team so they could put it on display for all of the fans to see, right?
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)