Great Moments in silly headlines: Red Sox-Yankees rivalry edition

Aug 6, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT

red sox and yankees logos

Gotta love the way the New York tabloids handle Yankees-Red Sox things.  Check out this headline in the Daily News:

Red Sox turn their backs on history

You’d think they committed some awful atrocity like using a Ted Williams jersey to clean up the men’s room or something. The reality: they didn’t feel like bidding on a silver trophy the team’s owner was once given for winning the 1912 World Series:

The New Jersey memorabilia collector who sold the trophy commemorating the Boston Red Sox’s 1912 World Series victory last week says he’s shocked the club showed no interest in the piece.

“Boston prides itself in its history,” Robert Fraser tells The Score. “John Henry and his crew blew this one! … I am shocked that the Red Sox didn’t bid on their historical 1912 World Series Trophy. It’s extremely disappointing that they would rather have the replica 1912 World Series Trophy on display at Fenway Park instead of having the real one,” he says.

Another way to describe this story, then, would be “memorabilia dealer mad that the Red Sox didn’t bid up the price, thereby enriching memorabilia dealer further.”

1. tfbuckfutter - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:59 AM

They just didn’t want it after it had been in New Jersey for an extended period of time.

The fumigation costs alone would exceed the cost of the trophy.

• pinkfloydprism - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

They are just mad that the owners could not be used to jack up the price.

2. bigharold - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Craig, I think you’re being a little cynical.

• bsbiz - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Nah, he’s not being cynical. It’s a case of a sports memorabilia dealer a little chapped over not getting as much as he was hoping because someone with deep pockets didn’t want to jump into the bidding pool.

He sounds very much like a sports agent trying to drive up the price on one of his players.

• rje49 - Aug 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I’m sure the dealer expected the Red Sox to bid. If it were mine, I would have thought so … and got my hopes up for a big payoff from it.

3. wherezwaldo - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM

They are too busy repeating history. Here’s to another 100 years.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I still don’t understand why dummies think 86 = 100.

86 ≠ 100

Also, there are 27 teams in the majors who wouldn’t mind winning 7 titles in 100 years (ok, 104 years but as long as we’re fudging numbers and all….).

• number42is1 - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Hell… theres at least one team that wouldn’t mind winning TWICE in 104 yrs :-)

• umrguy42 - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Well… 26, actually, but again, who’s counting?

4. doctorfootball - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Lets be fair about this, Mr. Calcaterra. I’ve seen plenty of headlines in Boston papers ripping the Yankees. Both the Boston and New York media are guilty of headlines like the one in your article.

• pauleee - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM

BSABSVR?

5. willclarkgameface - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Whatever the case may be with the headline, I agree that the Red Sox should have purchased this fucking thing. They are so busy trying to sell pink hats bricks, coffee table books, and Sweet Caroline 81 dates a year that they just don’t give a shit about this. They print money over on Yawkey Way.

They’re dipshits.

• kkolchak - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM

“They print money over on Yawkey Way.

They’re dipshits.”

Wow…total contradiction in successive sentences. Very rarely are people who know how to “print money” considered dipshits in this society.

6. mybrunoblog - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Lost in your guys comments and thoughts on the seller is this. Why didn’t the Red Sox try and reacquire the Trophy?
    Sure seems odd that the R Sox don’t own it but wouldn’t they want their old trophy?

7. deathmonkey41 - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Who cares about Red Sox garbage merchandise? I’m thinking of bidding for a Star Wars AT-AT Imperial Walker on Ebay. My mother would never buy me one as a kid because she said it was too much money to spend on a toy that I would probably break or something silly like that. But I don’t need her money anymore. I’m going to get me an AT-AT and then the world will be mine…or at least the AT-AT will.

8. sheriffpeyton18 - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Can we be done with the BoSucks for the season?!?! They aren’t going to be contenders!

• 18thstreet - Aug 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM

heh. BoSucks. Classic!

9. sophiethegreatdane - Aug 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

“I mean, if he really cared about history and tradition and stuff, he’d donate the thing to the team so they could put it on display for all of the fans to see, right?”
    ——————————————————–

Craig, I think you’re fishing here. I didn’t read (from the comments that you posted) that the dealer was particularly interested in history and tradition — he is simply stating that he was surprised the Sox didn’t want the trophy.

And frankly, I’m surprised by that too. I would think that *any* sports team, not just the Red Sox or Yankees, would want the original trophy designating one of their championships.

To know that it was up for bid, and they showed no interest? Yeah, that’s a little surprising to me, and I’m not a Sox fan or a memorabilia dealer. It’s not like they can’t afford it.

10. dcrudy - Aug 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Maybe they’re just more proud of their 2004 ALCS Trophy, you remember that series, the only team in the history of MLB to come back from down 3-0 against the …

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3590)