Aug 6, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Johan Santana tossed three innings yesterday in a minor-league rehab start at Single-A and looked good enough that he’s scheduled to come off the disabled list and rejoin the Mets’ rotation Saturday.
Santana threw only 38 pitches as part of his recovery from a sprained ankle, but Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that he tossed another 50 pitches in the bullpen after the game.
Assuming the Mets’ plans don’t change Santana will face the Braves on Saturday, in New York. Prior to the DL stint he allowed 19 runs in 13 innings over a three-start span, so the status of his ankle will only be part of the story when Santana takes the mound.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)