Aug 6, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Johan Santana tossed three innings yesterday in a minor-league rehab start at Single-A and looked good enough that he’s scheduled to come off the disabled list and rejoin the Mets’ rotation Saturday.
Santana threw only 38 pitches as part of his recovery from a sprained ankle, but Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that he tossed another 50 pitches in the bullpen after the game.
Assuming the Mets’ plans don’t change Santana will face the Braves on Saturday, in New York. Prior to the DL stint he allowed 19 runs in 13 innings over a three-start span, so the status of his ankle will only be part of the story when Santana takes the mound.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 46
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)