Aug 6, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
5:47 PM: After keeping him on the active roster but unavailable to pitch for two weeks the Cubs are expected to finally place Matt Garza on the disabled list with a strained right triceps.
Tests showed no structural damage, but fluid around the muscle left him unable to pitch and ruled out the Cubs being able to trade Garza by the July 31 deadline.
He was initially penciled in to pitch Tuesday against the Padres, but those plans were canceled after two weekend bullpen sessions left Garza sore. For now the Cubs continue to insist the injury is minor, but if they’re going to trade Garza it’ll have to wait until the offseason.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (84)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)