Aug 6, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
5:47 PM: After keeping him on the active roster but unavailable to pitch for two weeks the Cubs are expected to finally place Matt Garza on the disabled list with a strained right triceps.
Tests showed no structural damage, but fluid around the muscle left him unable to pitch and ruled out the Cubs being able to trade Garza by the July 31 deadline.
He was initially penciled in to pitch Tuesday against the Padres, but those plans were canceled after two weekend bullpen sessions left Garza sore. For now the Cubs continue to insist the injury is minor, but if they’re going to trade Garza it’ll have to wait until the offseason.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)