Aug 6, 2012, 7:15 PM EST
5:47 PM: After keeping him on the active roster but unavailable to pitch for two weeks the Cubs are expected to finally place Matt Garza on the disabled list with a strained right triceps.
Tests showed no structural damage, but fluid around the muscle left him unable to pitch and ruled out the Cubs being able to trade Garza by the July 31 deadline.
He was initially penciled in to pitch Tuesday against the Padres, but those plans were canceled after two weekend bullpen sessions left Garza sore. For now the Cubs continue to insist the injury is minor, but if they’re going to trade Garza it’ll have to wait until the offseason.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)