Aug 6, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
5:47 PM: After keeping him on the active roster but unavailable to pitch for two weeks the Cubs are expected to finally place Matt Garza on the disabled list with a strained right triceps.
Tests showed no structural damage, but fluid around the muscle left him unable to pitch and ruled out the Cubs being able to trade Garza by the July 31 deadline.
He was initially penciled in to pitch Tuesday against the Padres, but those plans were canceled after two weekend bullpen sessions left Garza sore. For now the Cubs continue to insist the injury is minor, but if they’re going to trade Garza it’ll have to wait until the offseason.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20