Aug 6, 2012, 11:21 PM EDT
Sure, it’s only 40 percent of what the Dodgers sold for, but $800 million isn’t bad.
The Padres sale to Peter O’Malley’s group was completed Monday, pending league approval that could come during the Aug. 16 owners meetings.
O’Malley is settling for the Padres after coming up short in his attempt to re-buy the Dodgers earlier this year. Among his investors is golfer Phil Mickelson, but it’s expected to be primarily a family-run team by Peter, his sons Kevin and Brian O’Malley and his nephews Peter and Tom Seidley.
Approval of the sale figures to go down without a hitch, as commissioner Bud Selig publicly endorsed the bid last month. Of course, the Padres’ first sale to agent Jeff Moorad didn’t go so smoothly. It proved to be a boon for current owner John Moores, though, as the new sale price is much higher than the previous $500 million figure.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)