Aug 6, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
In preparation for his long-awaited return the Rays optioned Will Rhymes to Triple-A, clearing a roster spot for Longoria to come off the disabled list.
Tampa Bay was 15-8 when Longoria went down on April 30, but has gone just 41-44 since then while using seven different players at third base.
Longoria previously tried to come back in June, but experienced a setback while rehabbing in the minors and had to be shut down again. This time around he played eight games at Triple-A, going 5-for-25 (.200) with seven walks and zero extra-base hits. He also admitted to feeling hamstring soreness as recently as two days ago, so the Rays will definitely have to keep a close eye on Longoria down the stretch.
- Red Sox place Hanley Ramirez on disabled list with shoulder injury 0
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 150
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)