Roy Oswalt: team player

Aug 6, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

Roy Oswalt

Roy Oswalt stunk up the joint starting for the Rangers, so they moved him to the bullpen. Texas needs the bullpen help and, in his first two outings as a reliever, Oswalt has been darn good, pitching three scoreless innings.

But yesterday, when Ron Washington wanted one more inning out of him, Oswalt said no, despite the fact that he hasn’t been worked particularly hard lately.  Evan Grant reports:

Manager Ron Washington was ready to send Oswalt back out for the ninth inning of what was then a tie game, but Oswalt declined … “He said he couldn’t go any further,” Washington said. “He said he had enough. To get anymore, you have to ask him.”

That, combined with Jon Daniels’ acknowledgment that Oswalt and/or his agent has voiced his displeasure with moving to the pen sure makes it sound like Oswalt is pouting.

When Oswalt held off signing with anyone at the beginning of the year and then went to Texas, he said that he wanted to be in the position to get a World Series ring. Now he’s with a team that stands a good chance of getting one, and he apparently doesn’t want to do what’s necessary to get that ring.

But hey, if starting is more important to him, I’m sure Houston would welcome him back.

1. shawon0meter - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Refusing to go out to pitch in a tie ball game in the 9th? Sounds like he’s lost confidence in himself.

2. keithbangedyermom - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM

What a douche. Why don’t you go back home to Redneckville and try a real job. Or just go play with your bulldozer.

3. timb12 - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Houston doesn’t want him back. We enjoy being the worst team in baseball. Although, if he did come back then we could mess with his W-L record.

4. thatyankeedude - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM

That is pathetic! As a competitor you should always want one more inning. I hope this guy keeps sucking because he waited around to sign with a team so he could win, he thinks he is still the ace of the team, and unless he had arm problems doesn’t like to pitch a few extra innings

5. kkolchak - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Here’s the rule: you can’t continue to be a prima donna if you are stinking up the joint. Teams and team mates will put up with a lot of jerkitude so long as you are producing. Once that stops, however, you’re on your way to being labelled a clubhouse cancer.

6. makeham98 - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Make his dreams come true. 60 day DL. Shut him down for good. Kenny Powers has more integrity.

7. Charles Gates - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Contrary to popular belief, I guess Michael Young’s leadership does, in fact, have limits.

8. bleedgreen - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I got poopoo’d when I said I didn’t like his attitude about the whole injury stuff with Philly early last year. He was hurting the team because he refused to acknowledge that he was stinking the place up and injured and then ran away after he got shelled in San Diego.

9. stex52 - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Can’t go back to Houston. That boat has sailed. If they won’t take Berkman back, no way they would touch Oswalt, even if he appeared to have much in the tank. Which he doesn’t.

Frankly, as a long time Oswalt fan, I’m pretty disappointed. Maybe it is time he went home for good.

10. beefytrout - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I figured things were headed down this road once Dempster got lit up… it sucks, because ol’ Roy looked really good this weekend as a long relief option. Thought maybe he had found a new niche and could have really helped the Rangers, but I guess not.

11. personalspaceinvader - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM

So he wants to be a starter but he wore himself out in two innings of relief? I would say that I wouldn’t want him on my team but I am a Rockies fan and we will pretty much take anyone that resembles a pitcher at this point.

12. drewsylvania - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Wow. He took half the season off, mercenarily chose his playoff team, and now he’s going to bail on it because they put him in relief because he stank?

What an ass. If I’m the Rangers I trade him to the NL for whatever I can get back.

• Bryz - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Well, he’d either have to pass through waivers or be claimed by an NL team for that to happen.

Unless the Rangers decide to trade him in September, making him ineligible for the playoffs. That would send a message.

• kkolchak - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Why not trade him to an Al playoff contender so your guys can beat up on him down the stretch and into the playoffs?

13. thefalcon123 - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Oh Roy Oswalt…MLB’s Scottie Pippen.

14. phillieseaglessixersflyers - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Glad the phillies didnt sign him back, what a bitch

• delawarephilliesfan - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Hard to see many positives for this season for the Phillies….but could you imagine if Ryan Madson had said yes to 4 years $40 Mil and Oswalt came back???

It was always an odd affair with him……looks like it wasn’t just the Phillies

15. willclarkgameface - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM

What a cry baby. Baseball players piss me off sometimes. It’s this kind of shit that isn’t going to win you another job on a winning ball club, Roy. Get it?

16. taxed00 - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM

He threw 150 pitches in 7 days, can’t blame him for not having much in the tank

• willclarkgameface - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Nolan Ryan ain’t gonna listen to that noise. Get on the bump Roy. The Rangers barely wanted you to begin with. If it weren’t for fluke injuries on that team, he wouldn’t even be in their bullpen. He’d be on the farm begging Miami to sign him.

Roy is a dick.

• nlewiss - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Nolan and Oswalt deserve each other.

Nolan doesn’t seem to care about the longevity of his pitchers and it’s shows this year with Holland, Ogando, Feliz, Lewis, and Darvish all battling soreness or worse from being over worked. His cowboy ethics are ruining some of the most promising young pitchers in the game. Oswalt is the only one equally arrogant enough to say something if he thinks he’s being misused. The same arrogance that makes him think he can skip Spring Training and demand a high salary mid-season. He’s admitted repeatedly that he cares more about building roads on his ranch than baseball. It shouldn’t be a surprise that his heart isn’t in it.

If things start going downhill this month the Rangers should release him. He’s the last guy you want if the ship is sinking because he doesn’t set a good example for the rest of the staff (see Memorial Day, 2010).

• cur68 - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I kinda don’t blame Oswalt here. 150 pitches in 7 days is a lot for a pitcher, especially one that has a history of a bad back. I suppose Ryan in his prime considered 150 game pitches “soft toss”, but back in the day Ryan was made of steel and had hydrochloric acid for blood. A very different sort of pitcher than Oswalt, in other words. Oswalt is merely mortal. Now, if fairness to Roy, he’s a veteran pitcher. He knows what he has and what he doesn’t have. Occasionally managers treat bullpen arms like they are past-their-prime racehorses: good for filling in till they drop dead. If Lil Roy didn’t have anything worthwhile to offer the team that day (and after 150 pitches in 7days, he might not have) then its his job to say so rather than go out there and get blown up.

• natslady - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I thought that when I read the story. You never hear the whole thing, just the headline part. First of all, why is Ron Washington telling the press this anyway??????? The guy is on your team, Wash, do you regard that as motivation? If he tells you he can’t go, he can’t go. We went through a long period here where guys wouldn’t speak up and made their injuries worse. Just say, I made a switch for matchups, yada yada yada…No one would have noticed…

I respected Oswalt for putting his family first (if I understood correctly) and not buying into the grind of an ML season. It’s clear he seriously underestimated how long it would take him and his “mechanics” to get in shape at the ML level, particularly joining mid-stream when the hitters are hot, rather than ramping up in the spring when hitters are usually behind. Changing leagues probably didn’t help either.

• cur68 - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM

pssst, natslady . . . c’mere . . . *sotto voice* I think you’re right, but this isn’t part of the Official Storyline, see? What ya gotta do is pile on Roy. You know: point out what a dolt and non-team player he is. Not this “reasonable” stuff (and your point about Wash running his mouth about it to the media: spot on. That’s some bush league stuff on Wash’s part). It’ll get like “Children of the Corn” round here if you don’t sound like everyone else. I don’t want to see you chased down the rows by crazy people with scythes and sickles. I don’t mean to suggest you can’t out-leg them, but I find it distressing when the corn gets trampled. Now, after the huddle, what I want you to do is go out there, point out what a twit Oswalt is, maybe throw in a “Jeter is a Clown” comment, and camouflage your intentions with some handy stock phrases, like “Nolan Ryan would have pitched 8 complete games AND beaten the crap out Robin Ventura just for fun if he wasn’t so busy wrangling the awesome”. I hope this helps. Ready? BREAK!

• stex52 - Aug 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Cur, I’m not quite buying your narrative, but as always I enjoy the way you frame it.

• cur68 - Aug 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Hey Stex. Thanks. I always say if you can’t be right at least be funny.

17. texasaaa - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

You have two different types of pitchers. In a Clemens you have a workhorse, a quarterhorse built for the long haul, can take beating and keep on going. .. Oswalt is thouroghbred type horse. He is light boned, built for speed not for pulling plows. Take his build plus his age, injuries and they have taken their toll.
    It’s time for him to go home butI he gave us Astros fans something to cheer about in his day and have never had a lot to cheer about through the years.

18. The Dangerous Mabry - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I can’t say I know all the particulars of the situation, but isn’t there value in a pitcher telling you when he’s got nothing in the tank? This may be the first situation I’ve heard of where a pitcher said something other than “No, I’m great, give me the ball”. I know we all like to think that’s a “winning attitude”, but it’s also the attitude that sends a guy out to the mound with arm fatigue, which leads to ineffectiveness and injury. Aren’t we better off if players give their managers and coaches an honest assessment of their current status, rather than always saying they feel great?

• beefytrout - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Don’t forget, he has himself complained in the media about his role on the team, and the GM has also publicly stated that both Oswalt and his agent have done the same to him.

• gloccamorra - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Mickey Lolich used to tell his catchers, if you see I have nothing left, tell the manager to come get me. I’ll never tell him myself. That’s the code of baseball, the “keep me in, Skip, I can get this guy out” when he knows he’s running on fumes. The smart managers consult their pitching coaches first, and signal to the bullpen while crossing the foul lines.

19. xmatt0926x - Aug 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Does anyone else envision Nolan Ryan in the bullpen with Oswalt in a headlock, yanking him out to the mound?

20. gostros19 - Aug 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM

How dare you. Even Astros fan dont want this selfish wash up.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline