Aug 6, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
I know most of you are sick of the Ryan Dempster stuff, but I still find all of the things that led to his trade to the Rangers to be interesting. Here’s a new twist to it, reported by Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com: Dempster was so hung up on the Dodgers that Theo Epstein told him to call them himself:
Sources said that Dempster was so hung up on the Dodgers that the Cubs told him to directly call Ned Colletti. Dempster spoke with the Los Angeles general manager just before the deadline – eliminating that possibility – and then accepted a trade to the Texas Rangers.
Epstein’s explanation of this:
“It was an unusual situation,” Epstein said then. “But I think it was helpful to have him there. He could hear firsthand that it probably wasn’t going to happen. If someone really wants to go to a place, you can tell them over and over again it’s probably not going to happen. But unless they’re convinced of that, they may not want to move on to their second choice … There were certain things he needed to hear.”
But sure, Dempster was always willing to go to any contender. He in no way was hung up on the Dodgers. Ahem.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17