Behold: The worst play of the season (sorry, Astros fans)

Aug 7, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

Craig Calcaterra’s all-encompassing game recap post this morning mentioned the play briefly, but it really has to be seen to believe.

First, a little context: Houston and Washington were tied at 4-4 in the 11th inning, with Nationals outfielder Roger Bernadina on first base as the go-ahead run with no outs. Kurt Suzuki laid down a bunt and then … well, the Astros looked every bit like the worst team in baseball for two years running:

1. The Common Man - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Oh my God, that’s great. It’s like something out of Major League before they all pull together as a team and win the American League East (spoiler alert, did I do that right?)

• Joe - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM

No – you need to say spoiler alert before you give the details.

2. salvomania - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

The 3rd baseman flying in at about 0:48 is my favorite part.

• number42is1 - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

nah… the best part is the 3 player collision at the mound

• hcf95688 - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM

No, the best part is the hi-five fail by the geeky dad with the scorebook.

• rarson - Aug 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Personally, I really enjoyed the second baseman stumbling to cover first right before the ball whizzes past him into right field.

So much bad baseball in one play. It’s hilarious and hugely entertaining, but I kind of feel sorry for everyone involved in that play, from the players themselves to the managers and fans, and even the Nats, for going into extra innings against a team that does this.

• Old Gator - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:38 AM

My problem is that once the third baseman goes flying over the pitcher, I’m laughing so hard that my eyes are squinched and I miss the fiasco at first. I’m going to stir a little of the pet calming powder we use to quiet our dogs on long rides into my iced tea, give it a few minutes, and then try to watch it again and see if I can remain under control long enough to see the whole thing. So far it kinda reminds me of Cirque du soleil on bad mescaline.

• southcapitolstreet - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:51 AM

He almost had a blocked shot

3. CJ - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

eesh, how many errors on that play?

• natslady - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Only two, E-3 and E-9. They actually gave Suzuki a single for what should have been a pop-out, or at best, a sacrifice.

• rarson - Aug 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Yeah, but errors in terms of what good baseball looks like, it seems like everyone that merely attempted to touch the ball screwed up at least once. Except maybe the catcher.

4. term3186 - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Yes yes Aaron. We’re terrible. We know. Not to mention 0-9 in extra inning games. It’s going to be a looooong few years.

• kkolchak - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

We Nats fans said the same thing back in 2008-2009. It really was. Hopefully, it’ll get better for you guys at some point.

• nlewiss - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:51 PM

0-10 in extras

5. sumerduckman - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Moe, Larry, get the cheese! Get the cheese! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

6. nolanwiffle - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Tanner coolides with Amanda near the mound, then Lupus fires high to Engelberg at the plate……….Buttermaker should bench the whole lot of ‘em.

7. hammyofdoom - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Oh lord… queue the Benny Hill music. Comedy gold right there, physical humor at its finest

• umrguy42 - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I was about to say, I can’t watch this with sound on at work, so I just did “Yakety Sax” in my head while I watched it…

8. stex52 - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Already talked about it on ATH. Not rising to the bait again. Also not going to any games in the foreseeable future. Sugarland Skeeters, save me a seat.

• cur68 - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Oh boy. That had to hurt, man. Uh…the Beaver Men could use some extras fans, if you want to switch. Mind you, they’re not much better some days but at least you get to say “beaver” a lot. I find that helps.

• stex52 - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

A small compensation. But it is a nice word to dwell on.

• nlewiss - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM

To watch Jason Lane, Gary Majewski, and Scott Kazmir? I’ll pass on that to at least see a visiting MLB team like the Nats in person. Although they looked jet lagged and repeatedly tried to give away that game last night. Brandon Barnes is on the way and maybe Downs will get DFA’d after that pathetic display last night.

9. kiwicricket - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

At 20sec into the clip after Bernadina scores, you can see a woman in the stands getting up and grabbing her things, ushering her kids out of the stadium. Clearly had enough for the evening.

10. sabatimus - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

If that throw by the right fielder doesn’t airmail the catcher, there’s a good chance Bernadina is out. And as overused as the Benny Hill theme is, it’s certainly deserved here.

11. papalurchdxb - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Big crowd for a Little League “this is how you don’t do it” exhibition.

12. umrguy42 - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Was it just the angle that made it look like that throw to first brushed Suzuki on the back?

Also, is Suzuki standing on third, a little winded, going “how in hell’d I end up *here* on a sac bunt? ” :D

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM

And how about Roger Bernadina running past his third-base coach’s stop sign, perhaps thinking, “what are the chances of these guys knowing which base to throw to to get me out?”

13. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Hey, look. Embeddable video!

14. unlost1 - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:34 PM

reminds me of my little league days! thanks.

15. aceshigh11 - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM

The only thing missing here is Wilford Brimley throwing his hat on the ground and stomping on it while Richard Farnsworth stares at the ground shaking his head.

16. seeinred87 - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Miguel Cabrera hit a little league home run earlier this year too.

17. Francisco (FC) - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I only saw something similar to this once. The feature length premiere of Quantum Leap when Sam struck out and the ball left the catcher, he went to first as the ball sailed into right field, they tried to get him at third and the ball went wide AGAIN, and then he scored home by sliding ahead of the ball. I distinctly remember thinking: “No way that ever happens in real life.” Thank you Houston Astros for imitating art.

Ace-killer Giants do it again