David Ortiz gets injection, aims to return Thursday

Aug 7, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz reacts after flying out against the Tampa Bay Rays during the eighth inning of their MLB American League baseball game at Fenway Park in Boston

After saying that he was seeking an alternate form of treatment for his injured Achilles’ tendon David Ortiz got a pain-killing injection yesterday and could be back in the Red Sox’s lineup as soon as Thursday in Cleveland.

“I don’t feel my foot right now and that means I feel good,” Ortiz told Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston. “I guess I have to give it a couple of days to see what the reaction is going to be like and go from there.”

McDonald reports that the injection was believed to be Marcaine, which is a trade name for the local anesthetic Bupivacaine. And if you want to know any more than that, you can Wikipedia it just like I did.

Ortiz suffered the injury on July 16 and was eligible to return from the disabled list on August 1. Sunday he described his status as “still very sore” and noted that “the pain won’t go away.”

1. deathmonkey41 - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM

That shouldn’t be a problem- I think he’s used to injections.

• skeleteeth - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Shut et, you feckin’ hahd awn!

• taxed00 - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

*slow clap*

2. andrewproughcfe - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Better hope the Marcaine doesn’t conflict with his female fertility drugs…

3. willclarkgameface - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

This ain’t nothing a little “B12″ can’t fix. Right Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds and mostly every other superstar from between 1985 and 2005?

4. cur68 - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Marcaine? I sure hope this is wrong. Not once has anyone indicated that this was neural pain. Its only been reported as pain from inflammation/injury to the tendon. What long term value to Ortiz’s health is Marcaine going to provide? Pain is there to indicate injury. Its not just an inconvenience. Its so the player knows to take it easy on that foot: there’s a problem. Getting rid of the pain isn’t the solution, that’s just treating the symptoms. Marcaine sounds like a bad idea to me. I hope the report is inaccurate.

5. 24missed - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I thought Ortiz wasn’t willing to put his career at risk? If he truly is getting injected with Marcaine and can’t feel pain, he really is putting not only his career, but his health in great jeopardy. If there is any nerve damage, playing baseball with an injury is only going to further aggravate it.

6. bozosforall - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Ortiz is well used to getting injections, as evidenced by his positive PED test result in 2003 that was leaked in the media. Neither Bonds nor Clemens ever tested positive for PEDs like Ortiz and Ramirez both did (as members of the Red Sox).

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3159)