Aug 7, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Stanton returns after missing 25 games, during which the Marlins went 8-17 to fall out of contention and into a last-place tie in the NL East.
Stanton initially tried to play through loose bodies in his knee, but was in and out of the lineup before ultimately deciding to go under the knife. Prior to being shut down he hit .284 with 19 homers, 20 doubles, and a career-high .919 OPS in 80 games and made his first All-Star team.
He went 5-for-16 with two homers on a brief minor-league rehab assignment at Single-A.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 0
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 167
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (171)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)