Aug 7, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
As first reported by MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert, Diamondbacks catcher Henry Blanco was diagnosed Tuesday with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb and is scheduled to undergo surgery Wednesday to have it corrected.
He’s almost certainly done for the rest of the year.
Blanco was injured this past Sunday at Citizens Bank Park when Phillies outfielder John Mayberry slid hard into his mitt on a play at home plate. An MRI taken Monday — with results made available Tuesday — revealed the torn thumb ligament.
The 40-year-old catcher was hitting .188 with a .505 OPS in 21 games as Miguel Montero‘s primary backup.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)