Aug 7, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
As first reported by MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert, Diamondbacks catcher Henry Blanco was diagnosed Tuesday with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb and is scheduled to undergo surgery Wednesday to have it corrected.
He’s almost certainly done for the rest of the year.
Blanco was injured this past Sunday at Citizens Bank Park when Phillies outfielder John Mayberry slid hard into his mitt on a play at home plate. An MRI taken Monday — with results made available Tuesday — revealed the torn thumb ligament.
The 40-year-old catcher was hitting .188 with a .505 OPS in 21 games as Miguel Montero‘s primary backup.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)