Aug 7, 2012, 9:15 PM EST
As first reported by MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert, Diamondbacks catcher Henry Blanco was diagnosed Tuesday with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb and is scheduled to undergo surgery Wednesday to have it corrected.
He’s almost certainly done for the rest of the year.
Blanco was injured this past Sunday at Citizens Bank Park when Phillies outfielder John Mayberry slid hard into his mitt on a play at home plate. An MRI taken Monday — with results made available Tuesday — revealed the torn thumb ligament.
The 40-year-old catcher was hitting .188 with a .505 OPS in 21 games as Miguel Montero‘s primary backup.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)