Aug 7, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
As first reported by MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert, Diamondbacks catcher Henry Blanco was diagnosed Tuesday with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb and is scheduled to undergo surgery Wednesday to have it corrected.
He’s almost certainly done for the rest of the year.
Blanco was injured this past Sunday at Citizens Bank Park when Phillies outfielder John Mayberry slid hard into his mitt on a play at home plate. An MRI taken Monday — with results made available Tuesday — revealed the torn thumb ligament.
The 40-year-old catcher was hitting .188 with a .505 OPS in 21 games as Miguel Montero‘s primary backup.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 13
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 37
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)