Aug 7, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s not clear why Cleveland gave Jose Lopez this long of a leash considering this is the third straight season in which he’s failed to crack a .700 OPS, but the Indians finally saw enough and designated the former All-Star for assignment.
Lopez hit just .249 with four homers and a .639 OPS in 66 games, including .192 in the second half. He’s still just 28 years old, but Lopez hasn’t been a productive regular since 2009 and hasn’t shown that he’s capable of being useful in a part-time role.
Cleveland cut Lopez in order to add an extra reliever in right-hander Frank Herrmann, who was called up from Triple-A.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (150)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)