Aug 7, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT
Jered Weaver won again last night, shutting out the A’s for his league-leading 15th win of the season.
Weaver struck out nine, didn’t walk a batter and allowed only four hits. One of those guys was erased on a double play. In short: Weaver was dominant.
Weaver has won nine straight starts, and as a team the Angels have won his last 12 starts. His win total, his one loss on the season and his ERA (2.13) is the stuff of unanimous Cy Young Award votes.
Which, when you figure that, at present, Mike Trout is the easy favorite for Rookie of the Year and the likely favorite for AL MVP, the Angels are on pace to take home some serious hardware this postseason.
Not bad for a team that, if the season ended today, would find itself having to win a three-way tiebreaker for the last playoff slot.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 4
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (103)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)