Aug 7, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
That means a mid-September return is now the best-case scenario and not playing again this season is a very real possibility. And with his 42nd birthday later this month that means not playing again, period, is also a very real possibility.
Thome has yet to say whether he plans to continue playing next season, but Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun thinks he dropped some pretty strong hints about continuing his Hall of Fame career within these quotes:
I don’t want to say yes, no. But you know what? This maybe changes my thinking a little bit. Maybe I do want to play a little bit longer. Again, I am trying to get back. I am not worried about next year. I think I’m trying to focus on this year, try to do the best to get back as quick as I can and to help us maybe accomplish and reach some special things here toward the end of September, through October. We’ll come to that once that time frame hits.
In other words, Thome doesn’t want to go out on the disabled list. And he remains an effective hitter, at least on a part-time basis, posting a .797 OPS in 150 plate appearances between the Phillies and Orioles.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)