Aug 7, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
That means a mid-September return is now the best-case scenario and not playing again this season is a very real possibility. And with his 42nd birthday later this month that means not playing again, period, is also a very real possibility.
Thome has yet to say whether he plans to continue playing next season, but Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun thinks he dropped some pretty strong hints about continuing his Hall of Fame career within these quotes:
I don’t want to say yes, no. But you know what? This maybe changes my thinking a little bit. Maybe I do want to play a little bit longer. Again, I am trying to get back. I am not worried about next year. I think I’m trying to focus on this year, try to do the best to get back as quick as I can and to help us maybe accomplish and reach some special things here toward the end of September, through October. We’ll come to that once that time frame hits.
In other words, Thome doesn’t want to go out on the disabled list. And he remains an effective hitter, at least on a part-time basis, posting a .797 OPS in 150 plate appearances between the Phillies and Orioles.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)