Joey Votto is at least one week away from returning

Aug 7, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT

votto getty Getty Images

Reds first baseman Joey Votto ran sprints and performed agility drills on Tuesday afternoon at Milwaukee’s Miller Park, then told reporters after the workout that he was moving at “100 percent” and felt no discomfort in his surgically-repaired left knee.

But his return to the active roster is not imminent.

According to beat writer John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Reds manager Dusty Baker has ruled out activating Votto during the team’s current road trip, which technically won’t conclude until next Tuesday night.

“I’m still thinking the same,” Baker said of Votto’s timetable. “He’s training hard. He’s not too far. I’m just not thinking on this road trip. If you’ve had a knee injury the one key obstacle you have to overcome is sliding.”

Votto, 28, was batting .342/.465/.604 with 14 home runs in 86 games before going under the knife.

1. johnnyb1976 - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Need Joey for the stretch run no use to rush him on the road trip. It’s not like we’re struggling to hit the ball ( sarcasm ) hurry back Joey.

2. whodeytn - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Our offense is putrid. Cueto pitched his tail off tonight and got pinned with another loss due to lack of scoring.

3. vincentbojackson - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:14 PM

No reason to rush your best player back when you’re dominating everyone without him.

4. ajcardsfan - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I certainly wouldn’t rush talent like Votto. He’s a quality player the Reds need to lean on, I would take extra care and maybe a few beatings by not having him at first, if it means he’s healthier down the road.

5. mrredlegz - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Personally, I don’t think Joey would say he is ready if he isn’t ready. He’s obviously not stupid. If I’m calling the shots and Joey Votto tells me he is good to go tomorrow….he’s in the lineup. The rest of the Reds are slipping into one of their patented team funks. Just look at all the crap they are swinging at (and meatballs they are watching go by). They need Votto back in the lineup yesterday.

6. whodeyx - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Mrredlegz: While I agree with your assessment, if I sunk over 200 million on my franchise player, I would make damn sure he is 110% healthy before I let him back on the field. We don’t play a team with a winning record any time soon, might as well ease him back in.

• mrredlegz - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:42 PM

And they just dropped 3 to a team with a losing record.

But no worries. Dusty Baker is still making out the lineup card. Votto will be 145% before he ever sees the field again.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet