Aug 7, 2012, 10:31 AM EST
One would think that you want to use your DH slot to get your best available bat in the game. Ron Washington thinks differently. After talking about working with rookie Mike Olt on his defense, he had this to say about using him when he’s not playing third base:
The skipper said he doesn’t want to use Olt as a designated hitter at this point.
“He’s too young to DH,” Washington said.
Yeah, you need to at least 35 to be a good DH. Just ask Michael Young and his .271/.297/.348 line. You can’t replace that with a young guy.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)