Aug 7, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Blue Jays right-hander Dustin McGowan is going back under the knife, this time for arthroscopic shoulder surgery.
McGowan previously underwent shoulder surgeries in 2008 and 2010, and basically hasn’t been healthy in four years, throwing a grand total of 21 innings since 2008. All of which is why it was so odd when the Blue Jays decided to sign McGowan to a three-year, $4.1 million contract extension in March.
He hasn’t pitched since then in the minors or majors, and the Blue Jays won’t know how long he’ll be sidelined this time around until Dr. James Andrews takes a look inside his shoulder.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 8
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (84)