Aug 7, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Vin Scully was on the case last night when Jim Tracy came out to argue the catch/trap play on Shane Victorino‘s drive to center. Go to around the two minute mark of this video to see his valuable translation services of Tracy’s tirade:
“He caught the blinkin’ ball … he caught the darn ball … THAT IS BLINKIN’ FERTILIZER … you gotta be blinkin’ me … blinkin’ unbelievable.”
The best part, though, is Scully noting that this whole sequence took way, way longer than any sort of replay procedures would have, thereby undermining the only argument against replay that Joe Torre and Bud Selig ever manage to muster.
Which, even though the umps got this call right, is another argument in favor of replay: it eliminates extended manager arguments. At least if you make a “no arguing replay calls” rule and enforce it with fines and auto-ejections.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)