Aug 7, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Vin Scully was on the case last night when Jim Tracy came out to argue the catch/trap play on Shane Victorino‘s drive to center. Go to around the two minute mark of this video to see his valuable translation services of Tracy’s tirade:
“He caught the blinkin’ ball … he caught the darn ball … THAT IS BLINKIN’ FERTILIZER … you gotta be blinkin’ me … blinkin’ unbelievable.”
The best part, though, is Scully noting that this whole sequence took way, way longer than any sort of replay procedures would have, thereby undermining the only argument against replay that Joe Torre and Bud Selig ever manage to muster.
Which, even though the umps got this call right, is another argument in favor of replay: it eliminates extended manager arguments. At least if you make a “no arguing replay calls” rule and enforce it with fines and auto-ejections.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte