Aug 8, 2012, 7:27 PM EDT
Cardinals manager Mike Matheny sent shivers through St. Louis earlier when he told reporters that something “developed today” with Allen Craig, who is out of tonight’s starting lineup against the Giants.
As it turns out, there’s no reason for concern.
According to B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest, Cardinals GM John Mozeliak announced about an hour before first pitch Wednesday that Craig woke up with discomfort in his chest. But X-rays turned up negative and the slugger is expected to return to action for Thursday afternoon’s series-finale with San Francisco.
Craig initially felt the chest discomfort in mid-July after slamming into a railing at Cincinnati’s Great American Ball Park while chasing after a foul ball. He’s been able to play through the pain up to this point.
“The Wrench” homered twice on Tuesday and is batting .298/.362/.573 in 69 games played this year. Including the 2011 postseason, he has 32 homers and 106 RBI in his last 559 plate appearances.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3