And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Aug 8, 2012, 6:14 AM EST

Rockford Files

Tigers 6, Yankees 5: Miguel Cabrera homered for the third straight game. The dude is good. The Tigers have won six straight and, with the White Sox loss, pull to within a half game. Speaking of the Tigers, I found out last night that one of the people I hung out with at Comerica Park this past weekend wrote a book about “The Rockford Files” that was published yesterday. That’s him, as a young man, on the cover next to Garner. And he also owns a Rockford-style gold Firebird, which is for sale and looks suh-weet. How did none of this come out over the three days I spent with this guy?

Phillies 3, Braves 0: Philly breaks the losing streak to Atlanta via a Cole Hamels shutout. Ryan Howard hit a two-run homer. This is how they drew things up once upon a time.

Marlins 4, Mets 2: Jose Reyes extends his hitting streak to 25 and his being-booed-at-Citi-Field streak to two. Giancarlo Stanton hit a sac fly in his return. The Mets have dropped eight in a row at home.

Diamondbacks 10, Pirates 4: Chris Johnson smacks two homers, helping the Dbacks rally for seven runs in the last two innings to beat Pittsburgh. The Pirates have dropped three of five. It’s too early to worry, though. Right? RIGHT?

Brewers 3, Reds 1: Well, I suppose it really is too early to worry about the Pirates, what with the Reds dropping three in a row themselves. Mike Fiers shut them down, tossing eight innings of one run ball and striking out seven.

Giants 4, Cardinals 2: Cards lose too, so I guess it doesn’t matter for any of the contenders in that division. Barry Zito was effective and Buster Posey hit a three-run homer.

Royals 5, White Sox 2: Country Breakfast was two for four with a yicketty. Can’t tell from the box score if it was mammo.

Rays 4, Blues Jays 1: Evan Longoria came back and went 1 for 3 with an RBI. J.A. Hapless allowed four runs in four and a third innings for the Jays.

Rangers 6, Red Sox 3: Ryan Dempster notches his first win as a Ranger. He pitched shutout ball into the seventh inning. No earned runs, but the three unearned runs came on a home run he gave up to Will Middlebrooks after an error. Unearned runs are stupid. I mean, it’s not like he didn’t sever up a three run dinger there. It did happen, and it happened because he got smacked. Whatever.

Twins 7, Indians 5: That’s 11 straight losses for Cleveland. This one coming when the Twins plated six runs in the final three innings thanks in part to bad Cleveland defense. Chris Perez blew his second save in three days. The recently-recalled  Tsuyoshi Nishioka hit a sac fly to give Minnesota the lead. Because he’s clutch like that.

Nationals 3, Astros 2: Danny Espinosa hit a two-run homer and then hit an RBI single in the 12th, accounting for all of Washington’s runs. Houston threatened in the bottom of the inning but Roger Bernadina made a diving catch into the wall to end the game.

Rockies 3, Dodgers 1: One-man wrecking crews were a thing last night I guess, because Josh Rutledge did it too. He had three doubles and a single, driving in all three Colorado runs. Rutledge, who is filling in for Troy Tulowitzki, was called up from Double-A around the All-Star break and has since driven in 18 runs in 22 games.

Padres 7, Cubs 4: Seven straight losses for the Cubs. Carlos Quentin hit a three run homer.

Orioles 8, Mariners 7: Baltimore wins yet another one run game, and another extra innings games, continuing its charmed existence in that regard. They’ve won 12 straight extra innings games, actually, five of which lasted 13 innings or more. Two homers for Matt Wieters. Hey, remember these?

Athletics 10, Angels 4: Bartolo Colon pitched seven scoreless innings, extending his scoreless innings streak to 22 and a third. The A’s racked up 13 hits including four homers off Angels pitching.

1. buccobrigade - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:25 AM

The pirates have dropped three of five not three of four.

2. buccobrigade - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Furthermore they won the two games before that, so 4-3 in their last seven. Hardly a reason to panic. I think it’s time for the world to stop worrying about the Bucs collapsing. They are in this to the end this year.

• kkolchak - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:30 AM

You sound like you’re worried.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. They’re 4-3 in their last 7, with two of those losses coming against what was at that point the hottest team in baseball. Grilli got roughed up last night (which has been very rare this season). Two more against the D-Backs tonight and tomorrow, and then the Fathers coming into town for a weekend set. Hopefully go 3-2 or 4-1 over the next 5.

While I am extremely happy with the baseball that this team is playing on the whole this year, it seems that Pirates fans are not used to the ebbs and flows of a normal baseball season. We’re so used to losing over the last two decades that the moment we drop a series everyone turns into Chicken Little. It’s a sprint, not a marathon (cliche #1), take it one game at a time (cliche #2), and we’ll be in this race until the end.

3. antlerclaws - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Rangers-Red Sox: Carl Crawford wanders off second like he’s taking a stroll through the park, Ian Kinsler calmly steps up behind him and Dempster turns around and easily picks him off. It was the most Little League play I’ve seen since….that Astros fiasco yesterday. Crawford really caught snoozing. Also, does Dustin Pedroia need anger counseling? Arguing way too rabidly on a called strike three on a check swing. He might have had a case, but sometimes you just have to let it go and move on. He was still yelling in the dugout, the umpire in this case being very patient, but he carried it into the next inning and finally gets ejected for mouthing the umpire while playing second. Bobby V. has to jump out there and do his thing for show, and I’m surprised he didn’t get ejected himself.

• wendell7 - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:41 AM

That was a horse-shit call in late innings with the game on the line. Pedroia easily checked his swing and Paul Nauert completely blew the call and hosed him out of the at-bat in a critical point in the game. Pedroia’s arguement was beyond justified. Nauert knew he blew the call, why do you think he subjected himself to such lengthy jawing from Pedroia before finally ejecting him … IN THE NEXT INNING?? I wonder if you’d classify the arguement as “way too rabid” if it was one of your Rangers players who was screwed?

• kkolchak - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Crybaby.

• antlerclaws - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM

The Rangers, like every other team in baseball, have been screwed plenty of times by bad calls. Why not just drop an f-bomb and get ejected, why drag it out over 2 innings. It was over, it was done, it was spilled milk. Now Pedroia gets ejected and a spare has to come in and take his place in late innings in a close game. That’s letting your anger get in the way of good gamesmanship. Plus they almost certainly would have had another run on the board if Carl Crawford wasn’t such a doofus; the next at-bat was a base hit he would have easily scored on if he hadn’t got picked off while watching clouds and butterflies.

• stex52 - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Yes, Wendell, if it was my team I would still call it “way too rabid.” All you do by getting thrown out is hurt your team.

Sometimes life isn’t fair.

• Glenn - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM

As someone who watched the game, Pedroia got thrown out after a Ranger did not check his swing and got the call. Pedroia did a “what about that one?” to the ump and was thrown out. It seemed pretty needless on the ump’s part. I think he let Pedroia go crazy in the previous argument because he really did blow the call.

The sad part that exemplifies the whole pathetic Sox season is that Bobby V tries to get thrown out (you know – to show camaraderie with Pedroia, grit, etc.) and the ump wouldn’t do it. Embarrassingly, Bobby V admits this after the game. Aren’t you supposed to pretend that you are truly passionate and not just trying to get thrown out for effect? This team can’t even lose properly.

• rarson - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Umps always seem to be incredibly… or maybe more accurately, ridiculously patient with both the Red Sox and Yankees players.

• antlerclaws - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Pedroia got called out for mouthing something when David Murphy got hit by pitch. Maybe he THOUGHT it was a blown check swing call, but it ended up being a HBP anyway. Once again, Pedroia for the fail.

4. The Rabbit - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:19 AM

First, we need to teach New Zealanders the unwritten rules. Fiers was perfect until kiwi cricket mentioned it during last night’s game. It’s his fault that Cozart got a hit.

I will leave the review of the Angels/A’s to APBA Guy other than to say that C.J. Wilson was awful again (6 runs, 3 unearned) but he didn’t get a lot of help from either the defense or offense. Chris Carter (the one who didn’t create the X-Files) had one of the shorter doubles I’ve seen this year. Hey, nobody touched it and he ended up on 2nd, so it’s a double. Mike Trout had a HR. From what I saw here, it was his birthday, too. The Dugong was very good and looks much better in his home uni. Yellow is not his color.

• kiwicricket - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM

If someone would kindly spell out all these unwritten rules, I could get fully up to date with them.
      However, I look forward to further cursing your fantasy baseball endeavors in the near future.

Colon in the yellow uni, looks as though he’s eaten some sort of dubious sea grass near the storm drain outlet.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Speaking of which, I believe there’s a proposal you need to address, just follow the white rabbit…

• kiwicricket - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM

My ‘Cultural learning’s of U.S of A’ is still in the mail. Bud promised he would send it before the season started!

5. rockthered1286 - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:24 AM

The O’s continue to impress. Well, with the exception of Britton who, despite bringing his ERA down to a mere 8.10 (although he’s hovering around 12 in his last 4 starts), looked just awful. Nevertheless, Britton hops on the train to Norfolk (yet again) and up comes hometown hero Steve Johnson to start tonights match in hopes for a sweep and a 5 game win streak for the yard birds, who are now only 4.5 games out from the Yanks who continue to crumble. Lyle Overbay are you reading this? A team flourishing, great opportunity, and hey, if Chris Davis the closest thing we have to an everyday 1B right now, why not make the move and put a guy in the lineup hitting in the .290’s, and move Davis to DH? That would give us the chance to pull the K-king Reynolds out of everyother game, or possibly Betemit who is equally awful on the hot corner. Defense doesn’t always win games, but it almost lost us another one last night (O’s leading the league in E’s yet again thanks to the bobble brothers Meat and Reynolds).

Man I’d kill for a good third baseman…

• rockthered1286 - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Aw… Yanks fans are such haters! Come on boys, give me your best shot instead of hiding behind the thumbs down! Justify your fall from grace as the O’s continue to pill up W’s!

Unless I am completely wrong and the thumbs down come from a different teams fanbase then by all means, please tell me where I am wrong in this analysis…

• kiwicricket - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:06 AM

No need to stress, a few thumbs down is league average.
        Elite posters like ‘Bicepts’ used to crack the half century mark before morning break.

• rarson - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Betemit is WAY worse at third than Reynolds is at first. In fact, with Reynolds batting as he has been lately, it’d be stupid to take him off of first and out of the lineup. Betemit doesn’t deserve a glove in his hands (well, maybe a batting glove). The only third baseman in recent history that was worse than Betemit was Josh Bell (the Bill Buckner of third basemen).

Britton sure did start off bad, as he seems to be doing lately, but I have to at least give the guy the credit of managing to go more than a single inning (or worse, a single out). It seems that he and Tillman at least have the ability to try to bounce back, assuming that they don’t start so horrendously bad that they’re pulled before the first is over. I can’t really say the same about Matusz, or even Arrieta anymore, which is sad because both of those guys (and Britton) really do have great stuff when it’s working well.

I think the team needs to hire a sports psychologist. Too many talented pitchers unable to keep it together and deliver consistent performances. I first thought maybe it was a training issue, but now I’m somewhat convinced that these guys just aren’t playing with clear heads. And in fact, it seems like other players often have the same problem (namely Reynolds, probably Davis, too).

By the way, Davis was 0-for-what last night? I like Chris a lot (I have a custom jersey that says Davis 1-0), but he’s very hot and cold. And it seems like he’s pretty cold right now. I don’t think he’s all that bad at third, either (definitely better than Butter-mitt). I’d rather see him play there than DH.

In the end, I trust Buck’s wizardry and the Orioles magic much more than I do my own opinions, because I’m pretty sure I would have ran the team into the ground by this point if I had been making the decisions.

• rockthered1286 - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Well played sir.

My reccomendation would have been to pop Overbay in at first, DH Reynolds and sit Meat on the bench for the time being. I don’t hate the idea of Dino at third right now if we could swing that, but I was making mention that when we play Reynolds at third, he’s just as bad as Meat defensively. And you’re right, Davis is very streaky, but so is Reynold (hot streak right now so you MUST ride it). Don’t we have ANY utility INF’s in Norfolk who are ready to hit with the big boys?

I can’t wait til next season when Manny comes up, and see whether they send him to third or move Party Hardy over…

• rarson - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM

By the way, when Andino made that play last night, I actually shouted out loud “Thank god that Betemit wasn’t still on third!”

6. angrycorgi - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Interesting rant on earned/unearned runs. So CJ Wilson should have been charged for 6 ERs last night, not 3 as well??

• Glenn - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Baseball fairness is a funny thing. You throw a great pitch and the guy misses by a foot, but he still has two more chances. If he crushes it to the deepest part of the ballpark on a line and it is caught, he is out.

7. philliesblow - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM

“Miguel Cabrera homered for the third straight game. The dude is good.”

Si Motherf****r!

8. koufaxmitzvah - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM

The Dodgers are a team of streakers. Since the All-Star break, they won 1 game against the Padres; then they lost the next 2 against the Padres and 1 against the Phillies; then they won the last game against the Phillies, swept the Mets, and won the first game against the Cardinals; then they lost the 3 remaining against the Cardinals; then they swept the Giants; then they got swept by the D-Backs; then they swept the Cubs; and now they have lost the first 2 against the Rockies.

So in koufaxmitzvah-speak, I first stare at the wall, then I want to bash in the wall, then I paint the wall, then I do bash in the wall, and then I patch the wall, and then I throw some shit at the wall, and then I think, “Maybe wallpaper?”, and then I grab the glue for wallpaper and pour it in my annoying neighbors’ pool….

• kkolchak - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:24 AM

“The Dodgers are a team of streakers.”

I thought streaking went “out” along with the 70s.

• Old Gator - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I know what you mean. Once you’ve streaked David Niven, really, what’s left?

• temporarilyexiled - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Please stop sharing your subconscious desires.

9. heyblueyoustink - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:14 AM

nauseating stat overheard this morning? Cole’s first shut out since 2010. $144 million? Oiiiiiiiiiyyyyyy….sigh.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM

2009

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

2010 Playoffs

10. stex52 - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Refer any comments from me to the Bernadina catch thread. Otherwise I am speechless with despair.

• cur68 - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Second

11. sdelmonte - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Topic for discussion: James Garner was the coolest TV star of his day. Which thankfully lasted a very, very long time.

So, is it time for the Yankees to worry just a bit? The rotation looks diminished, the bats are inconsistent, and the O’s just aren’t going away. I don’t see the Yanks not making the playoffs, or even not winning the division, but I really don’t think they are the team we thought we saw in June. They could still win it all, but I would not bet on that right now. Then again, I don’t know how I’d bet on.

• stex52 - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Yankees have a lot of talent. Playoffs are a crapshoot, depending on who is hot and who is lucky. I certainly wouldn’t be worried if I were you.

• sdelmonte - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Oh, I’m a Mets fan. I never worry about the Yankees. I just like analyzing them.

• kiwicricket - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Yanks??? Re-zoning yourself I see….

• stex52 - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Talking to me, Kiwi? In which case, yes. Not much useful to say about Houston, so I’m dive bombing my opinions on other people.

• kiwicricket - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:40 AM

No no….just a kind ribbing for Mr Delmonte and his beloved Mets.

12. heyblueyoustink - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM

*Sever* up a three run dinger? J.A. Hapless? Craig, were we up late watching re-runs of ALF and didn’t get enough sleep?

• stex52 - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Letting auto-correct rule his life.

13. mattyflex - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Butler’s yickety was indeed mammo. Cleared the CF wall by a good 20 feet and bounced for two hours.

14. ottomanismydog - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM

haha love the humor on the Pirates post! The irony comes together for anyone who has to listen the call-in sports talk in Pittsburgh. Some of the conclusions that the hosts and callers jump too are ridiculous. The reality of the situation, as any knowledgeable baseball fans would tell you, these are the dog days of baseball. The standings of last 10 games for most of major league is slightly over .500 for the winning ball clubs. Too Boot, the Reds have also lost 3 of their last 5.

#dogdays

#bucn

15. madhatternalice - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Unearned runs are stupid.

Said no one, ever. Come on Craig, there were two outs when he hit that homer. Had Kinsler not botched the throw, MIddlebrooks doesn’t even come up that inning. Did someone pee in your Wheaties this morning? ;)

• El Bravo - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Exactly. Those runs can’t be “earned” given the inning would have ended, had the error never occurred. Allowing the homer can still get him the L later on correct (not in this case, but it could)? Isn’t that punishment enough for coughing up the dinger that shoulda never happened? My only issue is when the pitcher commits the error, does that mean those runs are unearned in the same scenario?

• rarson - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Yeah, but putting the ball into play versus striking the guy out IS the pitcher’s fault. Not to mention, serving a fat one up on a platter, whether the batter “should have” come to the plate or not, is also his fault.

• kalinedrive - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I would think the runners on base who scored on the HR would be unearned runs, because they shouldn’t have been there if the 3rd out should have been made. But a HR should always be an earned run.

16. deathmonkey41 - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM

So, I guess all the people that were dubious of the Yankees success because they are unable to regularly generate offense without hitting a ton of HR balls really feel foolish now. 0-8 in their last eight 1 run games and are like 0-40 on the year when trailing after 8. Guys just keep going up there hacking away trying to hit HRs despite the situation. After a early tough inning for Hughes where he threw a lot of pitches and allowed the Tigers to tie it up with 2 runs, Jim Kaat said the best thing for Porcello could do would be to hold the Yankees scoreless the next inning. Not only did he hold them scoreless, but the swing-first happy Yankees racked up 3 outs on only 9 pitches. So, a tired, frazzled Phil Hughes had to trot right back out there and almost on cue, began to totally unravel. In the bottom of the 9th, down by 3 and the Tigers leaving no one on the left side of the field and giving the Yankees the chance to get runners on base, Mark Teixeira once again almost gave himself an aneurysm trying to pull the ball into the shift-popping up weakly. And after a string of hits that pulled the Yanks within one and runners on 2nd and 3rd, Granderson came up to the plate swinging wildly- eventually popping out on a pitch up around his eyes. I guess he was just happy he didn’t strike out again. Fire Kevin Long already- he’s the most overrated hitting coach in the league and maybe that might light a fire under these guys and get them back to actually having good at bats.

17. hisgirlgotburrelled - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM

The Country breakfast yicketty stuff: well done, sir. I almost LOL’d at my desk!

I don’t agree with the unearned runs either. You can give a guy a win because his teammates score more runs than the pitcher allows, but if his teammate makes a mistake with 2 outs then runs he allows to plate after that don’t count? It’s like you’re saying it is OK to allow hits and runs because the inning should have been over… and then throw in the way an earned run is charged to the pitcher that leaves the game and the reliever allows inherited runners to score. Should be more like a half earned run to both of them, or something. Either way, the moral of the story is that ERA is not a perfect stat.

18. hushbrother - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Please stop using the term “yicketty.” those Chipper Jones tweets were too inane to even deserve their own blog post.

19. Old Gator - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Those yicketty Feesh managed to win one aginst the Mutts while I was packing for my return to Macondo, which I am attempting to do today. I’m actually standing by for an earlier fight here at Idlewild, somethng that my pride rarely permits me to do, being such a function of peonage, and reading an article in the newly merged Sporting News / National Enquirer (in a deal that will save a fortune in postage costs for mail subscriptions) that claims Monica Lewinski was Kristen Stewart’s real mother, that Stewart was born in the Dominican Republic and is actully ten years younger than she claims to be.

Other than that the Iron Giant returns – the article claims that he changed his name to Giancarlo from Mike when one of the pizzarazzirizzos threatened to publish photographs of him fondling Nancy Pelosi in the corridors of Gnats Stadum – who delivered a sac fly just to announce his return and give Slobbering Ozzie something with which to fortify his resume for the resubmission process looming at that fateful October seasonal review chaired by a splenetic Scrooge McLoria.

Okay, time to go see if my Platinum Aadvantage status will enable me to displace some more of the working class travellers off the top of the standby list. Fashionably leftist only takes you so far in this modern economy of ours.

20. thatyankeedude - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I’m getting sick of this funk the Yankees r in. WIN A GAME!!!!

21. APBA Guy - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM

That was fun.

The Rabbit had the game mostly summed up (way above), except to say that Capitan Colon noticed home-plate ump CB Bucknor channeling his inner Eric Gregg and expanding the zone laterally, much to the surprise of birthday boy Mike Trout. Colon continued to pound that spot over 7 innings, while oddly CJ Wilson did not. Coupled with the Angels inconsistent, to be charitable, defense- that double by Carter was partly a result of both Izturis and Pujols overrunning the ball, and partly a twilight gloom sort of thing-the real key play was Callaspo letting the Norris smash get through for a two-run error with bases loaded, one out in the 3rd, instead of the inning-ending double play. The game went from 1-0 A’s to 4-0 after the next run scored on the sac fly, and with El Capitan relentlessly pounding low and away-and getting the calls-the A’s kept chipping away at CJ and letting his iffy command get him trouble. I have to mention the impact of Cespedes being back in the lineup-hurt wrist and all. Tonight he hit a shot in the hole that Aybar speared on one hop, a great reaction play, But Cespedes beat the throw. The look of surprise on Aybar’s face was illuminating, a “how did he do that?” look that spoke volumes.

So the A’s did what they needed to do-win one in this series-and turn now to the possibility of doing what they dream of, taking a second game. And this is a very important game for the Angels for two reasons. This is why they made the big move for Greinke, today’s starter. He’s matched up against another of the A’s kid pitchers in Dan Straily, and would figure to have a big advantage. Weaver had that advantage and ran with it Monday night. The Angels need Greinke to do the same today. Second, there’s no way around it, last night was a poor effort defensively by the Angels and they need to bounce back. Aside from Aybar, who showed gold glove form, the rest of the infield was iffy. They have done better, and need to do so again. Offensively, they’ve scored 4 runs in each of the two games. With their investment in pitching that’s enough to play .500 ball, but today they also need a bigger effort from the bats.

The A’s look to continue their improbable success based on unsustainably good starting pitching. Colon’s scoreless streak is at 22 1/3 innings, which you can believe for a former Cy Young who is now on his 3rd incarnation as a starter. What’s harder to believe in is the continued success of the rookies, especially as we are seeing cracks in their performance now that their innings totals approach their last year’s highs of 130. Even new-guy Straily is at that point with his heavy minor league usage, so while his name is fresh, his arm isn’t. All the more reason to get McCarthy back and then Anderson and finally Braden, though we can’t know what to expect from the latter two, nor can we be sure how often McCarthy can go as the run for the playoffs unfolds.

But the fact that as A’s fans, we are even talking about meaningful games in August is, frankly as exhilarating as it is surprising.

22. moogro - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM

More on the unearned run rant: I shut off the A’s game after Colon made an error, then gave up a single making it 9-1 in the 7th. Scoreless streak extended, I guess.

I think Rockfish still holds up to this day, like putting on a warm sweater. It was what all those Raymond Chandler and Mickey Spillane adaptations wanted to be. Imagine trying to run a business from a trailer way out in Malibu. 60% of the real show would be be Rockford sitting in his car on the PCH. One of the more remarkable things about the show was that Jimmy was basically a show runner and in almost every single shot. That is a lot of 12-14 hour days for a lot of years, washed down with a lot of cigarettes. Cigarettes? Notice how many episodes he has one in his hand, fumbles for his pack, just lights one, or just exhales some smoke. But you almost never see him take a drag in the final edit.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3251)
  2. J. Kang (3102)
  3. C. McGehee (2813)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2795)
  5. J. Upton (2784)