Bartolo Colon is no mere innings eater! He’s blanked the opposition for 20 and and two-thirds

Aug 8, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT

Oakland Athletics' Colon returns to dugout during their MLB baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays in Oakland

Things happen on the west coast after I go to sleep, so it’s easy not to notice. One thing not noticed: Bartlo Colon has thrown 20 and two-thirds consecutive scoreless innings.

Last night he threw seven scoreless against the Angels (the one run was unearned). He’s won three straight and his ERA on the season is down to 3.38, making this the second straight excellent season from the guy after he had been declared all but dead.

And he’s only making $2 million.

1. cur68 - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Man, I’m happy for The Dugong. He ain’t pretty, but he can dance, even if he is a bit stout. I hope he can keep this up. He just needs to stay out of the road uniforms: he looks jaundiced in them. Every time I see him on the road I want to check his liver. Dugong’s should be in white, not yellow.

• ultimatehitcoach - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM

i’m remembering his 2nd run with my white sox in ’09. one day he just disappeared.. no one.. the gm, the other players.. knew where he was, where he went, he was simply nowhere to be found on this planet. not so much as a “see ya!”
      a year goes by. next thing you know, he’s in the yankees spring training camp. wtf? this guy’s got some loose wires up there in his hatrack. he’s got another coupla weird psychodramas up his sleeve before he’s finally gone.. book it.

• cur68 - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Don’t you guys know anything about Dugongs? The occasionally travel vast distances to mate. On day there they are clogging up the water ways, eating sea grass, moo-ing, being mistaken for mermaids (how does THAT happen?) next thing you know: on the Love Boat to the Sulu Sea. Dugongs are fools for love.

2. APBA Guy - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM

The A’s have backed off the gold after the Big Streak ended a week ago or so. But it will be back!

3. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM

So do I take the bait from the headline and make a hacky fat joke about Bartolo, or do I just leave it alone?

• bsbiz - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

You could make a comment about how apparently innings have fewer calories than a burrito but more than a salad. But that’s about as far as I would go.

4. kkolchak - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:42 PM

He’s obviously eating something. And whatever it is, other pitchers should eat more of it.

5. theawesomersfranchise - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM

All the #’s screamed that he would be very effective this year being removed from NY and coming to Oakland.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2954)