David Ortiz defends Josh Beckett against the booing Sox fans

Aug 8, 2012, 8:51 AM EST

Boston Red Sox  v Tampa Bay Rays Getty Images

The fans booed Josh Beckett when he left his last start with back spasms. As it has become David Ortiz‘s role to speak out against the culture of Boston Red Sox fandom and media coverage, you will not be surprised that he weighed in:

“Are you kidding me?” Ortiz exclaimed.

“When it comes to Josh Beckett, this is a guy who likes competition. Trust me, the way he was pitching that night, he wanted no part of being out of the game. I know what I’m talking about. This is the same guy who later that night couldn’t even get out of a chair or bend over to pick something up … I think it’s wrong,” the Red Sox’ designated hitter said of the fans booing Beckett.

Ortiz went on and on about that and Beckett went on about his health, so it’s worth a read if you’re into the whole “As the Red Sox Turns” stuff.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM

While I certainly would not advocate booing an injured player, I have to say that being one of the mouthiest guys on one of the mouthiest teams leaves him open to a little extra skepticism in the fan base. I don’t know if Beckett has worked hard at cultivating the public persona of a complete A-hole, but he couldn’t have been more successful if he had. That is all fine and good when you are performing at a high level and winning games by the dozens. Once the performance and the winning go away though, you are just some A-hole who keeps pissing people off.

• bigleagues - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Are the Red Sox really one of the ‘mouthiest teams’ or, perhaps, are their comments often over-amplified because they are in a concentrated baseball hotbed of nearly 18 Million people with at least 7 regionally major daily papers/websites, at least 15 affiliated TV stations, 2 24/7 sports talk stations that rate among top 3 in the market – (one of which covers nearly all of New England), 2 regional cable sports networks, and 1 regional cable news channel.

And especially amplified when it’s a superstar such as Ortiz who would/could get national media attention anyway.

I point the finger, at least partially, at myself (and fellow fans) for willingly consuming some of the media claptrap – but I think a lot of the vitriol the Red Sox get from non-Sox fans is various levels of envy, ignorance and opportunistic button-pushing.

Also, I don’t think people outside of New England quite understand the depths of our depravation. I live about 100 miles of Boston. I can walk my dog during Red Sox games and nary miss a swing as seemingly every other home along our walk has the game on an HD TV with the volume up and the windows open.

• bigleagues - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I made a typo with 18 million – should have been 15 million (the approximate total population of the 6 New England states).

• skeleteeth - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I agree with the blame falling on the shoulders of the fan-base more oft than not. The ingrained chicken little response jacked up to eleven, even after 2 WS victories, is beyond annoying. You would think perspective would be gained at some point and a little gratitude expressed at times, especially during crappy seasons like this one, that the last decade has been way better than the however-many that preceded it.

I also feel that a SP that doesn’t ingratiate themselves with the fans/media is destined to scrutiny at a higher rate than that of a position player in any market due to the lack of visibility and perceived lack of maximum effort 100% of the time. Which goes back to the fans left to forming opinions based on the stressful relationships with the team from an already biased and at times jaded pool of journalists. I do not miss this element of Boston.

And as far as NE is concerned, you go another 100 miles south of Boston and you will be hard pressed to find a TV not watching the YES network. Well, in CT anyway.

• bigleagues - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM

skeleteeth,

Generally, I agree with your comments. Well stated . . . especially about the SP’s.

However, not sure if you are, but I’m in Connecticut. I have lived all over the state and when I was growing up on the eastern edge of Fairfield County, I knew of only two other Red Sox fans in my entire city of nearly 60,000.

So, what you said is true of the extreme Western edge of New Haven County and all of Fairfield County (the only area of the state, in fact, that Met’s fans outnumber Red Sox fans – however, both are dwarfed by the number of Yankees fans in that area).

The remaining 2/3’s of Connecticut is decidedly Red Sox (East and North of New Haven and North of Fairfield County) – although Danbury, in the Central Northwest part of the state on the NY State border strays Yankees.

One other fun fact, that many people (even New Englander’s) aren’t aware of is the seemingly strange concentration of Yankees fans in Southwestern Rhode Island where I have spent a lot of down time enjoying Misquamicut Beach – the locals explain simply . . . many New Yorker’s have bought or have heirloom summer homes along the shore between Newport and Westerly. This has led to the strangeness of laying on the beach, thumbing the radio dial and landing on the local Yankees radio affiliate – broadcasting from deep behind enemy lines!

• skeleteeth - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I grew up less than a mile from Muzzy Field in Bristol, CT, where the Sox had a AA team for a few years and saw that team move to New Britain. Pretty much central CT. Once I was in high school there were only a handful of Yankee fans that I can recall. This was on the cusp of the Jeter/Rivera/Posada/Pettitte era and I can safely assume that changed by the end of the 90’s when they were winning. I moved to Boston in 1996. My mother and step-father moved to Southington, which borders Meriden and is not all too far from Waterbury and was surprised how many Yankee fans resided in that area. Anything south of Meriden I would consider a suburb of NYC though I have a few friends from down there that I met in Boston that are Sox fans.

My parents are divorced and my mother’s side (Mainers) equal Red Sox fans while my father is from NY. The Yankee fans out-number Red Sox fans in my CT family and this is all central CT. I recall my step-father complaining that Cablevision wouldn’t carry NESN in the early 2000’s which 5 years prior would be an absurdity.

I also spent much time in Misquamicut and Guilford/Branford further south and recall a large Yankee presence which seemed logical to me even then with the proximity to NYC.

2. stevequinn - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM

@ sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo You’ve got that right. Beckett is not a team guy, he’s only in it for Josh Beckett. I wanted the Sox to trade him at the deadline. They probably would’ve gotten fried chicken and beer distributorship franchises.

3. sabatimus - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Ortiz is just being a team guy here. If the clubhouse is as bad as I think it is, the Sox could use more of that.

4. deathmonkey41 - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Do those Dominican Milkshakes come in baby bottles because someone’s cryin’ again!

• marinersnate - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Does he get those “Dominican Milkshakes” from A-Roid’s cousin or Andy Pettitte?

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I believe he has his own distributor since both Andy and Alex at least had to balls to admit they cheated.

• wendell7 - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

They “had the balls to do it”, or they crumbled under the intense media scrutiny and admitted it because everyone knew they were doing it anyway?

• djpostl - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Since he came up hot on the same test as Arod I think he has his own source. nice try Skippy.

• djpostl - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Well Wendell, since it was reported that Big Sloppy came up hot on the same test as Arod where is his mea culpa?

Oh yeah, he pulled an O.J. and said he’d look into it “and get back to everybody”.

Yet not on peep.

So the point stands. When called out on it they owned up…unlike Ortiz.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Well said, djpostl, well said. When confronted with the evidence, A-Rod and Pettite at least had the integrity to NOT try to blame it on tainted milkshakes they drank in another country. Unlike Mr. Ortiz and his juiced up bash brother Manny- who walked away from the game rather than to own up to it.

5. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM

He is a stand up guy IMO. How quickly we forget that he was also the only guy that got Manny’s back when the Sox fans turned on him.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Stand up guy that took absolutely no responsibilty for cheating the game when his name appeared on the 2003 steroid list?

• carlosruiz51 - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I think we are missing something very important here. Boston fans booing there own players??? AFTER AN INJURY??? We in Philly wouldnt even do that!!!! Well…..not to our own players anyways….

• skeleteeth - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Yeah, pining for football season in July is nothing like booing your own players.

• 18thstreet - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Just to be clear: we’re booing him for sucking, not for being injured.

6. willclarkgameface - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:21 PM

All I have to say is this: Josh, when is tee time? Ortiz, how is the B12?

7. myedayok - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I figure if Boston’s(fans) have given up on him then Beckett is giving up on Boston. Every pitcher goes through a rough time in their carreer. I know people are referring to his chicken and beer but, there are more storys that would stand out in front of this if they’re in another lesser proud baseball city. But Boston is Boston and they want 5 quality starters playing 7 days a week. I’d imagine if he were left alone he’d pitch much better.

• bw1980 - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Josh Beckett was under no scrutiny from most–I’ll get to “most” in a moment–until, during the team’s collapse last year, he was found in the locker room playing video games whilst drinking beer and eating fried chicken. Imagine you’re at work, your entire department is facing a deadline and trying to get a very stressful project completed and two members of the department, though perhaps having completed their own portion of the project for the moment, are in one of their offices looking at funny pictures on the web or at a tavern down the street having dinner and drinks while the rest of the department is sweating it out. Even if those people were just grabbing office supplies when needed or looking up things that those working needed queried….just doing anything to help would be appreciated. You tell me how that would play out with the guys co-workers and superiors.

Now for clarification on the “most” sidebar from earlier: I’ve been tired of Beckett since 2010. Perhaps other fans haven’t paid attention but this guy is signed for the big bucks and now, 1/2 way to completing his sixth year in Boston, he’s had two good years for this franchise (’07 and ’09). Two. He goes out golfing with a strained lat which caused him to miss a start, the beer incident, the back problems (gee…can’t figure it out….the guys gut hangs two inches more over his belt each year. Conditioning, anyone?), blisters. The list just runs on and on.

As for Ortiz, I think he’s feeling tremendous stress and he’s worn down. The year-to-year contracts have been a source of ill will between he and management, Bobby V. has proven himself as a poor choice as Francona’s replacement and this clubhouse is highly dysfuntional. I think even Ortiz, who was intent as the fans were and are on finishing his career in Boston, now wants out of Boston. Enough is enough and I don’t blame him.

You posters who keep taking shots at Sox fans are clueless, this about the internal workings of the organization–not the paying customers.

8. rmfp1978 - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Right let’s give lackey and beckett crazy contracts and keep signing ortiz, a player that’s not only produced year after year not only on the field but has had his teammates and organizations back through out it all. He’s not asking for a ton of $ just wants something longer than a year for security. I don’t get the red sox thinking on this. I was listening to chris duncan on the fast lane and he said josh beckett acts like his stuff don’t stink treating other major leaguers like they were in the little leagues. Karma is a

9. airedale1950 - Aug 9, 2012 at 6:33 AM

The entire Rude Sox team should quit talking, blogging, Tweeting, pissing and moaning…and concentrate on playing baseball a whole lot better than they have been.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5234)
  2. M. Kemp (3595)
  3. J. Upton (2903)
  4. J. Kang (2899)
  5. C. McGehee (2790)
  1. W. Middlebrooks (2781)
  2. M. Morse (2445)