Aug 8, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT
The fans booed Josh Beckett when he left his last start with back spasms. As it has become David Ortiz‘s role to speak out against the culture of Boston Red Sox fandom and media coverage, you will not be surprised that he weighed in:
“Are you kidding me?” Ortiz exclaimed.
“When it comes to Josh Beckett, this is a guy who likes competition. Trust me, the way he was pitching that night, he wanted no part of being out of the game. I know what I’m talking about. This is the same guy who later that night couldn’t even get out of a chair or bend over to pick something up … I think it’s wrong,” the Red Sox’ designated hitter said of the fans booing Beckett.
Ortiz went on and on about that and Beckett went on about his health, so it’s worth a read if you’re into the whole “As the Red Sox Turns” stuff.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (353)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)