Aug 8, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT
The fans booed Josh Beckett when he left his last start with back spasms. As it has become David Ortiz‘s role to speak out against the culture of Boston Red Sox fandom and media coverage, you will not be surprised that he weighed in:
“Are you kidding me?” Ortiz exclaimed.
“When it comes to Josh Beckett, this is a guy who likes competition. Trust me, the way he was pitching that night, he wanted no part of being out of the game. I know what I’m talking about. This is the same guy who later that night couldn’t even get out of a chair or bend over to pick something up … I think it’s wrong,” the Red Sox’ designated hitter said of the fans booing Beckett.
Ortiz went on and on about that and Beckett went on about his health, so it’s worth a read if you’re into the whole “As the Red Sox Turns” stuff.
- One PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is good. The other PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is bad 52
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 36
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)