Aug 8, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
The Indians moderately long regional nightmare is over: they played the Twins today. They won 6-2. And they ended the 11 game losing streak.
They can certainly thank their Opening Day starter and their biggest bat: Justin Masterson went seven innings allowing two runs on three hits and Shin-Soo Choo went 4 for 4 with two driven in. But they can also thank opposing second baseman Tsuyoshi Nishioka, who had a hand in four of the Indians six runs.
Nishioka committed an error on an ill-advised glove flip of a ball behind the bag, lost a routine pop fly in the sun despite it not being that sunny and despite wearing sunglasses, having it fall in for a double. He also made an awful throw to the plate. He was recalled from Triple-A on Monday, and since then he has made three errors, multiple misplays that weren’t scored as such and is 0 for 12 with a sacrifice fly. Twins broadcasters were openly derisive of his play during this game. We may have seen the last of him.
Regardless, congratulations Indians. Your streak of awfulness has ended. At least for a day.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)