Orioles, Giants, Reds interested in Diamondbacks castoff Lyle Overbay

Aug 8, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

Arizona Diamondbacks v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

Lyle Overbay is a free agent after being released by the Diamondbacks and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles “have made their interest known.”

According to Connolly the Orioles actually talked to the Diamondbacks about potentially trading for Overbay last week, which makes it odd that Arizona decided to simply release the veteran first baseman.

He’s also been linked to the Giants and Reds, as teams recognize that Overbay can at the very least be a solid bench bat after hitting .292 with an .815 OPS in 45 games for the Diamondbacks to top a .750 OPS for the fourth time in five years.

1. contraryguy - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Looked him up; didn’t realize Lyle Overbay is 35 already. Guess he’s not a rebuild-plan kinda player for AZ.

On the other hand, he hits from the left side, which is in short supply on the Reds roster. That short GABP right field porch is calling to ya, Lyle…

2. uwsptke - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I remember Overbay feasting on Reds pitching at GABP. He had a career-game there in 2005, hitting two homers (one for a grand slam) and drove in six RBI’s. He also had another multi-homer game earlier that year in Cincinnati.

True story: I was so excited listening to the game on the radio in my truck that I was pulled over for speeding.

3. muskyhunter2542 - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Bring him back to Milwaukee to backup Heart… I remember the “Oooooooooo” throught Miller Park

• madhatternalice - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Hart?

4. steviep23 - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Can he play 3B? If not the O’s don’t need em.

5. temporarilyexiled - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Brandon Belt fanatics will freak if the Giants get him. The team needs a short-term solution. Currently, they have a collection of incomplete players, who if they somehow blended them together, would be the answer. Lyle Overbay would be fine, at least for now.

6. rockthered1286 - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Current Orioles who have played first this year, but I refuse to call them justifiable first basemen:
    Chris Davis
    Mark Reynolds
    Jim Thome
    Nick Johnson

First 2 can’t hit consistently. Last 2 can but it’s a bit difficult from the DL to do so. So again I preach, why not bring in Overbay to play first, stick Reynolds in the DH spot, and let Andino and Davis play 3rd? And as for the Meat? Time to ride the pine or prepare for a DFA (and keep Flaherty close by for a filler).

• bmorelikeme - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I would be pretty happy platooning him with Reynolds at first.

2012 Overbay OPS vs RHP: .859
      2012 Reynolds OPS vs LHP: .866

Please make this happen Orioles.

• bmorelikeme - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Also some thoughts I forgot to include

I’d DH Davis fulltime, his defense at 3rd is atrocious, but he can get hot and carry the team for a week at a time with the bat.

I’d platoon Betemit and Dino same way I suggested Overbay/Reynolds at First. Yeah Wilson’s defense is terrible, but his slash line against RHP (.305/.359/.509) more than makes up for it. I definitely wouldn’t DFA that type of production.

• rockthered1286 - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I agree with everything except Davis being a worse defensive third baseman than Betemit. Although I could be wrong. If you have a stat for errors at third that proves me wrong I’ll gladly jump on your bandwagon here.

Either way none of this will happen unless Overbay makes his way to Charm City. Here’s to hoping.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3165)