Aug 8, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Vicente Padilla has done a decent job out of the bullpen for the Red Sox after being a full-time starter for the first decade of his career, but now he’s headed to the disabled list with a strained biceps muscle.
Padilla threw 39 innings with an excellent 43/11 K/BB ratio, but served up five homers while posting a sub par 4.62 ERA in 41 appearances.
To replace him on the roster and in the bullpen the Red Sox recalled Clayton Mortenson, who was demoted to Triple-A last week following Boston’s trade for Craig Breslow.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 8
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 34
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)